Maiden Cliff to Ridge Trail

Maiden Cliff to Ridge Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.25056°N / 69.08278°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This trail is a pleasant hike first to scenic Maiden Cliffs, the a ridgewalk on open rock and finally through some forests to the summit. There is also a side hike to the Ocean Viewpoint that is highly recommended for the best views in the area. This is a Class 1-2 hike but can be tricky if wet. Watch yourself on the rocky cliffs as a fall could be deadly and there are no ropes or handrails (and who would want to hike this if there were such eyesores).

There are also a number of trails in this area and connecting to these trails that would provide numerous options on Megunticook and surrounding mountains. To see a map of the area (and of this route), please visit this website in pdf format

Getting There

From Highway 1 on the coast of Maine, take Highway 52 west from Camden, ME. The trailhead is approximately 3 and 1/4 miles down on the right side of the road,just before you get to Lake Megunticook. (Note there is a fork in the road at about the 2 mile mark but just follow signs for Highway 52.

The trailhead is a gravel lot with a sign at its end by the trees.

Route Description

From the trailhead, hike up about the Maiden Cliff Trail a quarter of a mile or so through forests to a junction with the Scenic Trail. You can bypass the approximately 1 mile loop to the NW to Maiden Cliff by keeping right but you would really miss out on a nice view and scenery. To visit Maiden Cliff, go left at this junction and go about half a mile to the cliffs. Views are of beautiful Lake Megunticook, well-to-do homes around the lake and every mountain in the area! To continue, hike back and take the Scenic Trail to the left just a few yards away. This will bring you back to the trail to the summit but will take you up some rocks to nice viewpoints along the way. Follow blazes on the rocks in the open rocky areas.

You rejoin the trail you were on before the loop to Maiden Cliff and now follow the Ridge Trail (named for obvious reasons) for about a mile and a half to the summit. There are several side trails along this stretch (Jack Williams Trail and Zeke's Trail), stick to the Ridge Trail. You will wind through scenic forest up rooty patches until you come to the base of a large rock where the trail heads left and then up the rock to the summit marked by a large cairn and elevation sign.

The summit is viewless so continue on the Ridge Trail (don't take the left trail after the summit, that is the Slope Trail and heads off to the NE to join some other trails) following signs to the Ocean Lookout. The Ocean Lookout is a half mile from the summit and offers great views of Camden and the coastline.

Retrace your steps then back to the trailhead although you don't have to go back to Maiden Cliffs and can just follow the signs back down a short steep section of trail to where you originally left it and then back to the car.

Essential Gear

None needed.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.