Main Canyon - Little Book Cliffs Wild Horse Area Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Shaylee

Shaylee - Jul 14, 2014 5:34 pm Date Climbed: Nov 17, 2012

Main  Sucess!

11-12-2014

Other times as well.

Kessler

Kessler - Jul 14, 2014 5:26 pm Date Climbed: Nov 17, 2014

Main  Sucess!

11-17-2012

Other times as well.

Scott

Scott - Apr 11, 2014 9:50 am Date Climbed: Nov 18, 2012

Main  Sucess!

January 11 2022

After work, I hiked Main Canyon. I parked at the Coal Canyon Trailhead and walked over the saddle to Main Canyon. The creek was too high to cross without getting wet so I headed down canyon staying on the west bank. Although I have been to Main Canyon many times, this is the first time I went down canyon. I saw several wild horses along the way.

April 25 2020

Shaylee and I hiked Main Canyon and Spring Canyon. We saw several wild horses in two groups. My goal was to see the waterfalls in Spring Canyon, but Shaylee and Kim didn't want much scrambling, so waited at the junction of the two forks of Spring Canyon. I turned around before the waterfalls because I got covered in ticks!

I've been there many times. Here is one trip:

November 17 2012

Kim needed a break from the kids, so Shaylee, Kessler and I went for a big loop hike in the Main Canyon/Little Book Cliffs Complex.

After driving down after lunch time, we arrived at the trailhead around 2 pm. We hiked up Main Canyon, crossing the creek many, many times. Since Jerry Creek (which flows through Main Canyon) was really muddy, we had hoped to make it to Aspen Spring using headlamps since it was unlikely we would make it by dark.

We hiked up Main Canyon to the Cottonwood Canyon junction and everything was pretty easy until then. Going up Cottonwood Canyon we found that the clay was very saturated and the thick mud made the going slow. It was even messier once we reached snow.

Just before dark we had reached the point about half way between the Cottonwood Canyon junction and Aspen Spring. There was a nice flat spot and since we had plenty of snow around to melt for water, we decided to camp there. It would make the next day’s hike long, but we had hoped to get up early and walk out on the frozen snow and mud.

November 18

We had hoped the night would be clear and cold enough to freeze all the snow and mud for us, but the joke was on us and it rained all night instead. Out thermometer recorded that temperature reached freezing sometime during the night, but all the precipitation was rain. Everything was even more saturated by morning.

We talked about returning the same way, but the kids said they wanted to push on with the loop. Part of the going was easy, but much of it was slick mud. We took a break to fill our water bottles at Aspen Spring before climbing to and crossing the plateau.

It was thought that the plateau would be fairly easy to cross, but it was actually challenging because of the mud. The shallow snow would sometimes provide better footing, but the mud under the snow was very squishy.

After Monument Rocks we missed the Crazy Ed Cutoff trail, which was covered in snow, so we had to take a longer route. We eventually made it to the Crazy Ed trail (indistinct) and followed it to the top of the Hoodoo Trail. Near the top of the Hoodoo Trail, we climbed a high butte for a good look around. We were originally going to take the Spring Canyon Trail back to the trailhead, but since it faces north, we knew it would be covered in mud. Instead we took the steep and longer, but dry Hoodoo Trail back to Coal Canyon and then to the trailhead.

We were all tired by the time we reached the trailhead. We had completed 14.5 miles this day and much of it wasn’t easy.

Misa

Misa - Mar 31, 2014 11:05 am Date Climbed: Mar 15, 2014

nice place with mustangs  Sucess!

great for viewing wild mustangs

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Mar 20, 2014 12:14 pm Date Climbed: Mar 15, 2014

nice hike with my son and Duchess  Sucess!

Nice hike with my son and Duchess (who behaved really well and did not even attempt to chase horses - voice command allowed here, no leash required). We were lucky and observed about 25 horses dispersed in 4 different groups.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Main Canyon - Little Book Cliffs Wild Horse Area' main page