Viewing: 1-20 of 47 « PREV 1 2 3 NEXT »

hgrapidUntitled Comment

hgrapid

I'll be the first to vote on this page. A little complex for my taste, but anyone interested in the climbing the group certainly will have a good resource.
Posted Aug 5, 2004 4:20 pm

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Thanks! You're damn right I put a lot of work in that. Only think of the tags (bold and underlines). But doing the maps took me two weeks :-(

Have a nice weekend

Gangolf
Posted Aug 6, 2004 1:41 am

PawkalaUntitled Comment

Pawkala

Great Page...
Posted Aug 5, 2004 7:19 pm

mtwashingtonmonroeUntitled Comment

mtwashingtonmonroe

Great job again Gangolf! Have a good one!
Posted Aug 5, 2004 7:27 pm

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Thanks Brit! Now that this sucker is done you bet I will have a good weekend. Perhaps even climb something :-)))
Posted Aug 6, 2004 1:42 am

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Wow! What a profile! Tremendous group of peaks!

Posted Aug 5, 2004 8:32 pm

Vid PogachnikUntitled Comment

Vid Pogachnik

Oh, man! What a page again! Congratulations, Gnagolf! You know - this is just in time. I just returned from a 4-days Dolomites hike, and on the second day we also summited Marmolada - Punta di Penia, of course. I have many very nice pictures :-))
Posted Aug 6, 2004 4:30 am

MoniUntitled Comment

Moni

Thorough overview. Great job as always!
Posted Aug 6, 2004 9:50 am

naderUntitled Comment

nader

Comprehensive page. Great pictures.
Posted Aug 6, 2004 10:57 am

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Thanks Nader. I wish I was there right now. Vid told me that he had been there last week and - man - am I envious.....

Have a nice weekend

Gangolf
Posted Aug 6, 2004 11:16 am

naderUntitled Comment

nader

How long a drive is it from Mainz to southern Germany/Northern Austria where you might climb some good mountains? Can you do it in a weekend?

I had heard in WWI they used to fire into the mountains to create avalanches. Maybe some of it happened in the Marmolada Group?
Posted Aug 6, 2004 2:47 pm

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Well, it takes about 4h to the German Alps but since the Alps are the huge weather divide in Europe we always do our vacations south of the main ridges. And this takes another 4-5h :-(

Concerning your WWI question I looked it up in one of my books. Manmade avalanches seem not to have been employed in the Dolomites - probably because the mountains are way too vertical for avalanche buildup. But they fought fierce battles around the mountains that have commanding positions above the passes (or high plateaus) like Col di Lana (which is just visible in my overview map to the northeast of Padon - not marked though), Monte Paterno and Monte Piano/Piana in the Sexten Dolomites.

Especially the latter is fascinating for us today. It is a small mountain above the Höhlenstein Valley which is flat with a summit ridge of less than 1km but huge drops into the valley below. The Italians had the southern part of the mountain, the Austrians/Germans the northern one (I forget which is Piano, which is Piana). The Italians had easy access along the southern slopes but the Austrians had to bring their cannons and other equipment up there by a steep, narrow and winding trail - which even nowadays is not easy to ascend. They fought each other for three years without any results......

And the saddest thing is that the best alpinists and mounaineers of the day killed each other instead of climbing something together.. ...

I suppose it is similar in the Pakistan - Afghanistan border area nowadays.....

Man never learns
Posted Aug 7, 2004 1:39 am

Jerry LUntitled Comment

Jerry L

As usual, excellent and interesting.
Posted Aug 7, 2004 5:53 am

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Thanks a lot. Actually for me it's quite fun to look at the maps put up the lists and wish I was there......
Posted Aug 7, 2004 3:46 pm

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Thanks Marco. I wish you a happy remainder of your holidays..... (I'm pretty envious)
Posted Aug 7, 2004 3:47 pm

maria grazia sUntitled Comment

maria grazia s

My best compliments for your enormous work. Very nice page indeed!
Posted Aug 8, 2004 3:31 am

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Grazie! I needed a break from Sardegna ;-)
Posted Aug 8, 2004 3:44 am

DeanUntitled Comment

This is one of the finest pages I've seen but it is typical of the way you always put your best effort in to make it really informative. Bravo.
Posted Aug 19, 2004 2:03 pm

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Thanks Dean! I'm - sort of - on automatic on the regular pages but overview pages need a lot more input. Still once you have a "framework" that works for you (sequence of sections - what has to go in which section, which info do I show) it gets quite straightforward. I found a great compilation page with all the huts, bivouacs and refuges in the alps - so I just have to go there and look for the info which I put in my tables. Just an example - and google does the rest. My framework has been set with the Puez-Geisler Group page and I adapted it to Pale di San Martino, Latemar, Prags Dolomites and Sexten Dolomites.

And I guess I don't need to tell you that I love reading maps and dreaming about the mountains they show ;-)

Definitely part of the fun of SP - for me.
Posted Aug 19, 2004 2:39 pm