Massie Lake

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.13320°N / 120.9018°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Hard
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

On The TrailOn the trail.
Misty MountainLooking up at the top.
From Lake Wenatchee travel north on Forest Road 6200 to Phelps Creek Campground and the town of Trinity at the end of the road. The Chiwawa River Trailhead is just past Trinity. Hike north from Trinity on the Chiwawa River Trail for approximately 3 miles. Watch for the Massie Lake Route on the left.

Route Details

The Massie Lake High Route Trail splits off from the Chiwawa River Trail after three miles and climbs up a steep and unmaintained path to Massie Lake. The route is an unsigned old sheep drive and is difficult to find in places. To help you keep track of the trail, look for burn marks into the trees. They designate the trail for about 90% of it until you get very close to the top. This trail gets incredibly steep towards the peak. This trail is not recommended for stock.

Up The SlopesThe steepest part of the trail.


Essential Gear

Make sure you have some high powered bug spray. The insects can be a bit overwhelming on this trail. Also make sure you have all proper rain gear. This area has a tendency to start raining quickly and unexpectedly. Last but not least make sure you have a good amount of water remaining after you cross the Chiwawa River. Because from there on up its a very hard and steep climb to the top and there is next to no sources of water.
Into The ValleyA look at the valley.