Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-6 of 6

cwyckham - Feb 13, 2010 7:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Matterhorn update

There is now active logging on the lower slopes. The bottom of the trail has been destroyed, but hiking in logging slash can still be avoided as follows:
As in the original directions, park at Eagle Light store. Go up the logging road and take the first left. Don't take the right as in the directions. Instead, stay on the original road as it turns left up the hill, then left to contour along the hill. Just after the first junction (to the left), you will intersect the original trail. It is marked with blue spray paint on trees, including the word "TRAIL" in large blue letters. Tough to miss.

After that, all directions are the same. Very good directions, by the way. Thank you for them. We had a great day.

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Feb 13, 2010 8:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Matterhorn update

Yes - I've heard that the lower area had been sacrificed to the production of yet more junk mail but haven't seen it for myself.

I don't quite understand your description as staying left and then left again would take you away from not towards the original trail. However, I'll make a point of going in there soon to reassess the route for myself and then repost.

Do you know who built and maintains this trail?

All the best, Martin

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Feb 23, 2010 1:21 am - Hasn't voted

Update entered

Matterhorn route description now changed to the new approach which avoids most of the slash following recent logging of the south slopes.

skcup - Dec 31, 2014 11:37 am - Hasn't voted

Update

I was up there this week and there is now road flagging tape on the main trail that connects the loop around the bluff. The valley appears to be within the falling boundary. Time to write some letters to protect this beautiful spot.

viskier - Dec 3, 2018 10:04 am - Hasn't voted

Matterhorn update

Hills are logged right up to the bluffs and up through the gap and around the back :-) Not really worth going there any more.

Estelle Therrien - Apr 5, 2021 6:49 am - Voted 1/10

No longer access from French Beach store.

Yellow gate at French Beach store is NO longer an access in to The Matterhorn please find a different way in as the lawn owner doesn't want any one going trough he's land, (understandable) there are sign on the gate stating it is private property, no trespassing. Mind you I did not park in front of gate nor in front of the mail boxes. There's is also no parking allowed at the store, for this hike.. If you do get spotted on the land you will have an angry lawn owner yelling at you and taking pictures of you and your vehicle.




Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to '' main page