CharlieUntitled Comment

Charlie

Can you give us more information abou the mountaineer track that leads just shy of the summit?

[edit]

up to 4 stars

[/edit]
Posted Feb 12, 2002 9:45 pm

Bob BoltonUntitled Comment

Bob Bolton

Hi Charlie,

I'd love to give you more information, but I don't have a very good memory of it. I do know that it was very easy to find and follow, and there were absolutely no route-finding problems. I guess maybe I should add that the "trail" starts on the north side of Ice Lake.

Are you planning a trip to the Wallowas?

Bob :-)
Posted Feb 20, 2002 9:04 pm

CharlieUntitled Comment

Charlie

I am not currently planning any trips to Oregon but I tend to do most of my hiking in the Wash/Oregon area and I was looking for Mountains to climb.

Sometimes when I read a mountain page and there is not a good route description I think its because there is a well defined trail to the top. But, if the author does not say so then I have no way of knowing before I go.

Thanks for the clarification!

-Charlie
Posted Feb 21, 2002 8:52 pm

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

I can answer your question regarding the trail to the summit of Matterhorn. I hope the fact that it's two months from your original query that it's not too late.

I refer you to RFBOLTON's Ice Lake photo...

The trail goes along the right (north) side of the lake (you can see it in the picture). At the far end, it winds it's way up the semi-forested slope just to the left of the white slabs at right and then eventually angles up and over the hump toward the objective summit. The trail then passes just to the northwest of the rust colored prominence in front of the Matterhorn. At this point the trail fades a little but "the way" never becomes indistinct. Essentially, the climber's trail goes around the left side of an impressive circque/canyon formation then traverses up and over toward the summit. This upward traversing occurs over many parallel, sandy benches. But not to worry because the limestone rock is very coarse and therefore offers great traction. It's not hard at all--at least in August when I did the climb.

Take a good look at the rock on the peak. You'll probably never see that kind of rock anywhere else in the world on such a high mountain.

I would be interested to know, if you go, if you thought Matterhorn or Sacajawea higher. They are so close in height that it's impossible to tell (at least it was for me).

====Paul
Posted May 24, 2002 10:40 pm

cjwhatUntitled Comment

cjwhat

The Mazamas' 100 highest peaks was put together by a guy named Jeff Howbert. One of the rules he used was "highest point with no higher points within 1 mile (might be 1/2 mile). I presume since Sacajawea Peak is slightly higher and within the range of the rule that it was disqualified.

A mention that mosquitoes can be heinous at Ice Lake when they're absent everywhere else would be a useful bit of info to add to the page. (It would have helped me recently.)
Posted Aug 1, 2003 11:41 pm

Bob BoltonUntitled Comment

Bob Bolton

Here's a link to Jeff Howbert's website:

I've been out prominence hunting with Jeff once, and have met him on two other occasions. In this photo, that's me on the far left, with Jeff standing next to me. This was at a county highpointer party in November 2003 in Seattle.
Posted Apr 11, 2004 10:54 am

Bob BoltonUntitled Comment

Bob Bolton

Ooops, I screwed up the first link in that previous message! Here it is: http://howbert.netherweb.com/mountains
Posted Apr 11, 2004 11:02 am

DeanUntitled Comment

I still have this one on my future agenda. I wish I'd done it with Tom but it'll be there for a future trip when I go after the Huryal Divide.

SMMSLT, sigh.
Posted Mar 28, 2004 12:15 pm

ScottUntitled Comment

Scott

Great page. The peak doesn't really look like "The" Matterhorn, so someone must of had a wild imagination.
Posted Apr 11, 2004 9:12 am

wildstarUntitled Comment

wildstar

Good page, makes me want to go out there.
Posted Nov 19, 2004 10:03 pm

Bob BoltonUntitled Comment

Bob Bolton

Thanks Levi!

I'm meeting my friend Dennis Poulin from Medford tomorrow morning to bag a Coast Range 2000-foot+ prominence peak. Dennis already has over 50 of Oregon's 73 such peaks. I've got 38 at the moment, and hope to get 3 more this weekend. This map shows where they are. It's a fun list to work on, and the lower ones in the Coast Range can be done this time of year. Great excuse to get out!

Bob
Posted Nov 20, 2004 12:51 am

wildstarUntitled Comment

wildstar

Sounds like fun, enjoy.
Posted Nov 20, 2004 11:42 am

oldoregonUntitled Comment

A little more info would be helpful.
Posted Nov 24, 2004 12:24 pm