Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.40038°N / 12.51036°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6719 ft / 2048 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Mesnerhöhe
Mesnerhöhe as seen from Hochwildalm


Mesnerhöhe is a minor summit and a mere bump located on the ridge between Bischof to the north and Sonnspitze to the south. The summit is mainly visited on a traverse Sonnspitze – Bischof and has – in my opinion – no further importance.

Being a not marked route this traverse is not very well known but it is, again in my opinion, a nice traverse with some rock scrambling and a fascinating landscape.

As Bischof and Sonnspitze, Mesnerhöhe belongs to the Glemmtaler Alpen, the east part of Kitzbüheler Alpen and to the Glemmtal north range. One of the most fascinating nature features around this summit is the small lake called Hirschlacke west of the summit.


Getting There

 
Mesnerhöhe
Mesnerhöhe, Pfaffen and Bischof as seen from Sonnspitze ascent


The best trailheads are

  • the hikers parking area at the switchback of the road from Oberaurach to Aurach Wildpark. It´s easy enough to find as it is the only switchback of this road

  • the mountain station of the Spieleckkogel cablecar, starting near the village of Hinterglemm.



  • You reach the trailhead Aurach Wildpark from Kitzbühel on the road number 161 to Pass Thurn. At Aurach turn on Auracher Straße at the signpost “Wildpark Aurach” and follow this road to Oberaurach and th the trailhead.

    Kitzbühel can be reached by car

  • on the roads number 178 and 170 from Wörgl / Inntal and the highway to Innsbruck

  • on the roads number 173, 178 and 161 from Kufstein and the highway to Innsbruck

  • on raod number 164 coming from Saalfelden directions

  • on road number 178 and 161 coming from Salzburg / Bad Reichenhall directions


  • The nearest railway station to the trailhead Aurach is Kitzbühel. Busses number 4010 or 950X go to Aurach. However there is no bus service to Wildpark Aurach and the trailhead.

    You reach the trailhead Hinterglemm / Hochalmbahn on the Glemmer Landesstraße, branching off road number 311 north of Zell am See.

    The nearest railway station is Zell am See. Busses number 680 or 965 go to the cableway valley station.


    Routes Overview



    Routes to and around Mesnerhöhe

    Mesnerhöhe is part of the traverse route from Bischof to Sonnspitze or vice versa. The routes to these summits are described on the Sonnspitze or the Bischof page.

    From Sonnspitze follow the ridge crest to the northeast first descending about 100 m over steep short rock faces (UIAA grade I) and steep grassy parts until you reach a more level part with a small pond. Ascent on the ridge easily and gradually steeper to the highest point which is the unmarked summit of Mesnerhöhe. Narrow path in some parts.

    Mesnerhöhe
    Ridge Sonnspitze - Mesnerhöhe
    Mesnerhöhe
    Ridge Bischof - Mesnerhöhe with Pfaffen rockspire


    From Bischof traverse the meadows below the east-west running summit ridge on its south side until you reach the south ridge dropping down to a rock feature, a bold rock spire called Pfaffen. Descend steeply to a notch in the south ridge in front of this rock feature. Follow a narrow path zigzagging down steeply in the direction of the huge cirque containing the small lake of Hirschlacke.

    Below the rocks of Pfaffen turn more south and traverse below the rock spire to another notch on the ridge between Pfaffen and the already visible Mesnerhöhe. Ascend Mesnerhöhe by following the ridge crest over some rock parts (UIAA grade I).

    Allow 1 – 1,5 hours for the whole traverse Bischof – Sonnspitze or vice versa.

    Through-hikers may inculde this traverse when hiking from Kelchalm / Bochumer Hütte to Wildseeloderhaus.


    Red Tape & Accommodation

     
    Mesnerhöhe
    Mesnerhöhe


    No red tape as far as I know.

    Up to now (2017) no parking fees at the trailhead.

    All kinds of accommodation can be found at

    Kitzbühel
    Aurach
    Jochberg
    Saalbach / Hinterglemm


    Mountain huts


    Hochwildalm
    Kelchalm / Bochumer Hütte
    Wildseeloderhaus

    Gear & Mountain Condition

    Mesnerhöhe is a hiking mountain for summer and autumn.

    In the hiking season you need full hiking gear and good shoes. The route from Bischof or Sonnspitze is not marked, in parts steep and narrow and requires some easy rock scrambling up to UIAA grade I.

    When wet or with threatening thunderstorms better stay away!

     
    Mesnerhöhe
    A look back from Mesnerhöhe to Sonnspitze
     
    Mesnerhöhe
    Mesnerhöhe (left) and Sonnspitze (right) as seen from Bischof ascent


    Current Weather:




    Maps

    Alpenvereinskarte 1 : 50.000; Kitzbüheler Alpen Ost, Nr. 34/2, Deutscher Alpenverein, 2010; - topo map with trails; the same with ski routes.

    Österreichische Karte 1 : 50.000 - UTM (ÖK50), map number 3214, Kitzbühel

    Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

    Viewing: 1-1 of 1
    selinunte01

    selinunte01 - Sep 4, 2017 3:30 am - Hasn't voted

    Re: 2048

    sure its meters, somehow it switched back to feet before posting ...

    Viewing: 1-1 of 1


    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    Kitzbüheler AlpenMountains & Rocks