Mitchell Point Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Candace66

Candace66 - Jul 19, 2020 3:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Current access situation

Regarding access to Fountain, Edgar, and Mitchell Point... On July 19, 2020, I called Providence Mt’s State Recreation Area (760-928-2586) to get an update.
The peaks are not closed. A “backcountry permit” is required to access the peaks if you’re starting from the visitor center. You can only get this permit in person at the visitor center. (There’s currently a $10/vehicle entrance fee as well.)
There is a gate on the access road two miles down from the visitor center. It is only unlocked from 8 AM to 5 PM on the days they are open. So, you would have to enter at 8 AM, go to the visitor center and obtain your permit, then complete your hike by 5 PM. Otherwise, your vehicle would still be in their parking lot after closing time, and this would likely trigger a search-and-rescue operation.
Accessing the peaks via routes that don’t begin at the visitor center is a “gray area.” There is a route (DPS Route D) on Mitchell Point that begins from the Bonanza King Mine and does not cross any of the State Park land. That is fine. But other routes to Mitchell do cross their land. And the summits of Edgar and Fountain Peaks, and the established routes on those peaks, are within their boundaries.
I was told that “technically” you should have the permit to be anywhere in their backcountry. Even if you find a route up Fountain or Edgar from the west. But they are only really concerned with people who start from the visitor center.
The backcountry permits are available during these days of Covid-19. Their trails are open, while caves and the cavern tour are closed. But beware, the rules and situation could change by late summer or fall. So, it would be best to call and discuss what you plan to do before heading out there. They are currently open on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and holiday Mondays.

minglefest

minglefest - Dec 28, 2020 12:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Mitchell Point

We successfully reached the summit yesterday. Fourth group to be up there in 2020 according to the summit register which goes all the way back to 1958. It was my third try. The trick is to stay on the ridge. We spent too much time off the ridge on the way there but on the way back we stuck to the ridge nearly the entire time before heading down to Bonanza King Mine where we parked. Also, this hike shreds your hands so some gloves might be a good idea. I've been on peaks all over the California Desert and Mitchell Point is arguably the greatest challenge and the most worthwhile. 8 hours exactly to get up and down. 2WD high clearance can make it to camp. Once you turn left towards the Bonanza King Mine make sure you bear left 0.8 miles in to reach the best camp spot in the old mining town of Providence. Staying to the right will take you to the quarry. No permit needed if you start from Providence.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Mitchell Point' main page