Mont Blanc Comments

Viewing: 21-38 of 38 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

tloganUntitled Comment

tlogan

This is a great page for a great mountain.
Posted Feb 18, 2004 11:14 am

Rahel Maria LiuUntitled Comment

Rahel Maria Liu

Thanks! :-)

Rahel
Posted Mar 27, 2004 7:52 pm

GumpieUntitled Comment

Gumpie

Nice site, lot's of cool pix.
Posted May 19, 2004 8:58 pm

Rahel Maria LiuUntitled Comment

Rahel Maria Liu

Thanks! :-)

Rahel
Posted Jun 2, 2004 1:21 pm

ezaUntitled Comment

eza

Too late for Rahel to know, but nevertheless I would like to congratulate her for such a nice job. Hope she can hear me, no matter where she is...
Posted Sep 16, 2004 9:09 am

BorUntitled Comment

Bor

Too late to see my vote! =\\
Posted Sep 26, 2004 4:51 am

JanVanGenkUntitled Comment

JanVanGenk

Very good work! This page was in fact the main information source I used for my climb to MB.
Posted Nov 29, 2004 12:25 pm

Trevor SimmonsUntitled Comment

Trevor Simmons

Great page!
Posted Dec 10, 2004 1:27 am

Johan HeersinkUntitled Comment

Johan Heersink

Good page and a fine memorial to Rahel!
Posted Feb 12, 2005 7:10 am

clarityUntitled Comment

clarity

Nice page. Couple things I would appreciate:

Rahel's Dedication being at the top instead of the bottom of the page.

List the sources for the grades in the Routes Overview section.

I've also added a bit of info on the plethora of accommodations available in the Chamonix Valley. Hope it helps.
Posted Apr 26, 2005 5:04 am

clarityUntitled Comment

clarity

Thanks for incorporating some of my suggestions.

Regarding Rahel's Dedication, I respectfully disagree. If someone goes to that page and sees nothing else it should be that nice Dedication you made to Rahel at the top of the page not buried at the end when, as you say, it's a long page and not many may make it that far.

She set the bar for quality pages until the tragedy last August.

You would have my enduring appreciation if you could see it to put Rahel on top of Mt. Blanc, where she belongs.
Posted Apr 26, 2005 10:26 am

JELNUntitled Comment

JELN

Excellent page, best on SP!!!

One question: Since the summit of Mont Blanc is a glacier, and it has been melting due to the heat, they say MB will not much longer be No. 1 in Europe. Where and what is this mountain called that will take BM:s place?

I'll assume it's a spur of MB itself (since, for example Monte Rosa Range is already significantly lower) , but can you tell me precisely where it lies and does it have a name yet? When do they estimate it will be no. 1? Is it easily accessible?

Thanks!
Posted Nov 24, 2005 10:30 am

JELNUntitled Comment

JELN

Thanks, Moni, for your speedy reply! It's good to know that Mont Blanc is in such good hands! By the way, "Moni" means many or multiple in Finnish.

You are right about Elbrus being "officially" the highest on the European Continent, being that the summit is just (about 4km) West of the border. Still, we Europeans like to think of Le Massif du Mont Mlanc as being the No. 1. I know at least I do.

Thanks for the interesting link, by the way!

There really is a lot of talk about Mont Blanc not being the highest for much longer since some secondary peak (that is not a glacier) is gradually taking over. I was just wondering if you had any details about this? The situation is similar in Sweden (Kebnekaise's South Summit is going down and the North Summit will soon be higher).

Posted Nov 25, 2005 12:05 pm

omRe: Untitled Comment

om

Under Mt Blanc summit, Rock is not far under ice. Anyway, ice will not melt here. Glaciers will only disappear under 3500m.

OM
Posted Feb 28, 2008 1:18 pm

Gabriele Rothsome info about the main routes on East (Brenva) wall

Gabriele Roth

info added and .. maybe lost in migration

Brenva Spur - the easiest and safer route from the Brenva side - only 1
critical point : the last ice wall, changing during the season
- one negative point : coming out from the Spur you loose the willing to
go to the summit ... too far and of "less level" so, normally climbers turn
to the right and come back to Aiguille du Midi (crossing the slops of
Maudit and Tacul)

Sentinella Rossa - looks to be the safer route to the summit (I've seen
it from both sides - Spur and Major) - but looks also a strange mix of snow
and rock, very discontinuous and (I think) not much engaging

Major - 1 very dangerous point : the cross of the big (killer) channel
coming down from the summit between Sentinella Rossa and Major ridge
Once passed it the climb is safe, various and very engaging with fine
snow ridges and not easy rocky bulwarks

Poire - dangerous approach and, I think, some danger even along the
route, the Poire itself (a rocky triangle) is not so marked so that ice
falls can cross the whole wall ...
But, in safe conditions I think it should be very fine, complete ... a
classic Himalayan ascent ...
Posted Feb 13, 2006 5:45 pm

jungeCamping

junge

Great page. Under Camping however, it should say that camping is not allowed on the mountain at all, or anywhere on the massive. Bivying is allowed. That is: pitch tent at sundown, pack tent at sunrise. People camp anyway though, and only rarely will the police step in. In fact the amount of impromptu toilets spread out on the Col du Midi, makes the phobition understandible.
-Michael
Posted Jul 24, 2006 5:54 pm

kamilname correction

kamil

The correct name of one of the first climbers of Freney Pillar is Jan Długosz.
Perfect page overall, I will use the info when climbing MB someday!
cheers,
kamil
Posted Feb 28, 2008 6:59 am

johanMB height...

johan

Great page but the height has changed to 4810m ;-)

Greetings,