Mont Saint-Hilaire , a...

Mont Saint-Hilaire , a...

Mont Saint-Hilaire, a nature reserve and a popular hiking area close to the city of Montreal. It is the third mountain in a small chain that covers the Montreal and Eastern townships as far as Magog. Mount Royal, Mont Bruno, Mont Saint-Hilaire, Rougemont, Mont Saint-Gregoire (formerly Mont Johnson), Bromont, Sutton, Orford and Owls Head are the most notable high points on the flat plain the once was the Champlain Sea millions of years ago. On a clear day you can see excellent views of the far off city. This peak also boasts a natural lake, Lac Hertel. The trails are open all year round to hikers, cross-country skiers and snowshoers. The land including the mountain itself was once owned by an weathy English business man named Gault who left the property to the University of McGill which maintains it today. His estate, The Gault Estate, situated on the lake is now used as a small convention and meeting centre. All of the hiking routes are easy. There are some interesting rock climbing routes on the northern slopes facing the Towns of Saint-Hilaire, Beloeil and McMasterville. William Marler, September 2003, Pentax Spotmatic F. Kodak print film.
William Marler
on Apr 2, 2004 3:32 pm
Image ID: 48204

Comments

No comments posted yet.