Monte Avvocata (Monti Lattari)

Monte Avvocata (Monti Lattari)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.65307°N / 14.66881°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 3327 ft / 1014 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Monte Avvocata

Monte Avvocata is a mountain overlooking the sea of the Amalfi Coast in a landscape of incomparable beauty .
.
.
.

The spectacle offered by nature is wonderful! Facing a sea of furrowed by countless iridescent cobalt, limited by the extreme east tip of Licosa and west, the Faraglioni of Capri. Featured among the thick green forests and gardens, stretches across a row of houses and villages, including Ravello, with its monuments and the Arab-Sicilian villa Rufolo colorful gardens overlooking the sea. On the steep coast, the historic and glorious Amalfi, Atrani, Minori and Maiori.
.
.
.
.
.
The Avvocata Sanctuary



Monte Avvocata (1014m) is best known for the shrine which is located along the eastern slope on a plateau at 866m. It is a place of pilgrimage during the period of the year, but it is the Day of Madonna dell’Avvocata (the Monday after Pentecost) to attract a large number of devotees at the end of the religious program, continue the party with songs, dances and characteristics tammorre.
Not many feet below it opens a long cavern where, in November 1470, Gabriele Cinnamo, a shepherd of Maiori, after being mysteriously led by a white dove in a dream he had two visions of the Holy Virgin.
.
.
.
.
.
Amalfitan Coast from the Sanctuary

In both the Virgin expressed it this way: "Gabriele, leaves to others the care of the goats; build a chapel in the cave, and I'll always be your advocate." After such a categorical command, Gabriele went to work. First wore a rough tunic giving himself a devout life, and then obtained permission from the Abate of St. Maria de Olearia in Maiori, Pinto Staibano, built in the cave of miracles an altar dedicated to the Virgin under the title of Avvocata.
The news of the miraculous event spread, and so was built on top of a cliff with the adjacent church steeple and a small monastery where, from 1508 to 1687, gathered a group of hermits


Getting There

The path on the ridge for Monte Avvocata


The path most used starts from the Benedictine Abbey of SS. Trinity of Cava dei Tirreni, a nice little town near Salerno , but there are other routes (shorter and therefore more steep) from Maiori Erchie and Cetara. These are charming villages of the Amalfitan Coast

From the square of the Abbey descend to the river, cross the bridge and climb right along the river for about 200m and then take the path to the left.
Until the source of Capodacqua (570m) walks through chestnut, alternating stretches almost level with short ascents. From the fountain go between the chestnut trees along the valley to meet a wide enough path that starts with a couple of turns.

.
.


The trail is easy to follow, and about 700m after the source, you come to Cappella Vecchia (683m), an old refuge of shepherds and woodcutters, from here you can enjoy a wide panorama on the coast south of Salerno and the Rocky Monte Falerio (686m).
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The gulf of Salerno

..
.
.
.
Cappella Vecchia on the path for Monte Avvocata


From here we proceed to the ridge with minimum gradients for over 1 km with views of the Vallone Grande and, at the bottom, of the nice town of Cetara.
.

The charming town of Cetara at the bottom of Vallone Grande

Then start climbing towards the Vene di San Pietro.
.
.
.
.
.
Gaining altitude is reached the source Acquafredda (875 m)(it means Cold water) where you can find fresh and good water
Spectacular are the views that run along the Amalfitan Coast, the Gulf and the mountains that surround. From the woods of oak, hornbeam and maple trees, the track
passes through chestnut woods and mountain pastures alternating the Mediterranean Macchia.
Passing a small rocky ridge, the trail crosses (897 m) to track that in westward in
few minutes reaches (960 m) Serra (Vene San Pietro) which aims
directly to the summit of Monte Avvocata (m 1014).

.
.
.
Sorce Acquafredda near Monte Avvocata

:
:
.
.

Once at the first gap you admire for the first time the Valley of Tramonti and background Ravello. Here ends the trail white / red CAI (Alta Via continues to the north) and you must go straight into the hill on the left coast to the other seat (937m) and get off at the Sanctuary. Splendid views over the coast.


In addition to the Grotta of the Apparition (located below the church)
.
.
.

The grotta under the Sanctuary of Avvocata

.
.
.

there are a couple of other caves around the Mount found along the trail that goes from the Shrine at the Belvedere (917m). This path is very narrow and some short stretches quite exposed.


As soon as the path narrows, you face two uphill and you reach a small cave first. Continue for a few meters until you reach a cave larger and far more interesting among the ruins of a bath is easily distinguishable. Apparently this was the "sauna of monks”. The cave became the refuge of the robber Matteo Salese which it is said that striking surrounded by soldiers, preferred to jump into the void rather than get arrested (probably ending sentenced to death).

Once at the "Belvedere "(917m) you can choose to return to the shrine or face steep climb between the rocks to the summit (1014m) and from there return to the saddle south of Vene di San Pietro (937m) without passing by the church.

Cartography

The map of the path to Monte Avvocata

Video

Camping

Camping is allowed also in the square near the sanctuary

Meteo

Meteo for your Hike on Monte Avvocata