Montezuma Peak Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

KarenF - Dec 11, 2022 9:17 pm Date Climbed: Dec 8, 2022

More of a scramble/climb than a hike  Sucess!

I went up with a small group of local hikers and found it to be more of a steep scramble/climb than a hike. Nearly 2400' of elevation gain in the 1.5 miles to the peak from the VC/housing area. Finding a decent route down is a challenge, too, and I was glad I wasn't on my own up there.

SierraSunrise85

SierraSunrise85 - Sep 20, 2010 10:43 pm Date Climbed: Sep 18, 2010

a nice climb if you're in the area...  Sucess!

decided to climb the south face of Montezuma this weekend, as I am working at Coronado and it is always in view and right behind my living quarters. Started out around 10 a.m. and it was already in the 90's. Followed a drainage up to a point where the slope gets really steep and sandy and things slowed down from there. Finally got to the exposed crags where the climb gives you several options of fourth and fifth class climbing. Tons of garbage and UDA camps evident at this point. I chose a route that was mostly 4th class with some 3rd thrown in. Lots of holds and ledges, however, you begin to feel the exposure after 100 feet or so. Watch out for the multitude of cacti on the crags as well. Finally got to a high point above the crags and realized I still had several hundred feet of bushwhacking to get to the summit. After summitting, I tried a different route down on the southwest side, but ran into several dry waterfalls 50-60 ft tall so had to climb back up and find alternate routes several times. Finally made it back down to the road around 3 p.m. and rested the rest of the day. Fun climb all in all if you're in the area.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Montezuma Peak' main page