Monument Creek Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.12180°N / 104.9295°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk up with some navigation
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sundance Mountain B may not be fearsome or glamorous, but this route provides surprising solitude so close to town. Hikers, joggers, fishers and dog walkers mill up and down the trail along Monument Creek, but once the hiker turns north up the gully from the Lower Reservoir, you enter a very special place. Despite a well-worn trail up this way, few seem to venture up this secret little gully. This route can be accessed and enjoyed year-round.

Approximate Roundtrip Mileage: 2.25 miles
Approximate Elevation Gain: 1,000 feet

Getting There

From I-25 exit Hwy 105 in Monument
  • Follow Hwy 105 west (you will initially parallel I-25 northbound) through Monument to the town of Palmer Lake.

  • Pass through Palmer Lake and the tiny town of Pine Crest.

  • In the small town of Glen Park, turn left/west on Lower Glenway.

  • Follow Lower Glenway until it dead-ends at Glenway Avenue and turn left/west.

  • Park at the junction of Glenway Avenue and Highland Road. (There is no parking available west of this point.)

  • Follow the dirt extension of Glenway Avenue west. Continue on the road, though you may feel like you are entering an area off limits.

  • Soon you will encounter a gate with visitor use rules, etc. This is where the hike begins.

Route Description

The first drainage to take northUpon reaching Lower Reservoir, keep an eye out to your right/north for this non-descript drainage. A faint social trail runs up the left/west side of this drainage and leads the hiker north into dense trees and solitude.
  • After approximately one-half mile of walking uphill on the old gravel road along Monument Creek, you will encounter the small Lower Reservoir.

  • Begin scouting for a wide-mouthed gully to your right/north (pictured at right). The gully enters Lower Reservoir at approximately the eastern/downstream one-third of the reservoir.

  • Look for a faint social trail to the left/west of this gully and head north.

  • In short order, the faint social trail becomes a veritable locals’ pedestrian freeway.

  • Continue north up the gully on this solid use trail, gaining altitude in rather short order.

  • At approximately 8,000 feet, scout to your right/east for a faint social trail on the north side of the drainage. Do not look up the center of the drainage, as may be initially intuitive. The social trail will be cut into the hillside on the north side of this drainage.

  • After about one-eight of a mile this social trail will top out at a saddle. Here you will encounter a solid social trail along the eastern ridge of these mountains.

  • Turn right/south and follow the use trail to the summit of Sundance Mountain B.

Essential Gear

For safety and comfort, the following are recommended:
  • Long pants. These narrow social trails might get a bit overgrown in the summer, making shorts an itchy option without gaitors.

  • Topographic map

  • Compass

  • GPS (optional)

  • Colorado Atlas and Gazetteer (for locating the trailhead)

  • Trekking pole(s)

  • Sturdy hiking boots with grippy soles and stiff ankle support

  • Water and snacks

  • First aid kit

  • Other standard backcountry essentials

Route Map

Sundance Mountain Route from Monument CreekSundance Mountain Route from Monument Creek
Map created June 2008

External Links

Pike & San Isabel National Forests
Pike National Forest Recreation Map

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.