Morning Fog

Morning Fog

View from our tent site at the Guyot Campground. Morning fog in the valleys burned off and we had an excellent sunny day. (With nartreb's help, we believe the peak in the shot is Mt. Nancy.)
Brian Jenkins
on Nov 10, 2008 11:42 pm
Image ID: 462564

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
nartreb

nartreb - Nov 11, 2008 2:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Mt Willey

I think. The campsite faces east; you would be able to see Mt Washington on a clear day but the profile doesn't match.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Nov 11, 2008 3:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Mt Willey

Yes, we were on the first platform in the site. I think this was looking a little southeast too. Would that match where Willey is? (Thanks for your help, I am not as confident in my east coast peaks.)

nartreb

nartreb - Nov 11, 2008 3:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Mt Willey

Actually Mt Willey is a little north of east (Mt Washington is more so): map

For a southeasterly view, I can't rule out Mt Nancy. I don't think it's Lowell or Anderson - those are quite pointy when seen from the north or northwest.

second bump from the left is Nancy. Question is whether you could see it from Guyot campsite, or whether the east slope of Bond would block it.

Hm, the more I look at this, the more I think it's Nancy. The ridge north from willey doesn't drop off that quickly. There also appears to be another, lower peak just at cloud level to the left; that doesn't match Mt Field (Willey's neighbor) but it could be Mt Bemis (Nancy's).

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Nov 12, 2008 1:58 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Mt Willey

It looks similar to the photo you link to. Would appear to be the most likely suspect. I don't think I was looking that far southeasterly that the ridge would block it. Our site looked mostly east, I was pointed just a tad southeast to the only clear spot in the trees.

Thanks for all your research. I like your winter shots of the area too. Bet you miss all the crowds that time of year.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4