Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 50.42671°N / 115.78386°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 8776 ft / 2675 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Aeneas is the second highest summit in the Stanford Range of the Canadian Rockies, located in south-eastern British Columbia, Canada. The summit reaches 2675 metres (8,776 ft.) and provides excellent views to the Columbia Valley to the west, and views to the Kootenay River to the east. This portion of the Rocky Mountain Trench is the source of the Columbia River which flows from the northern end of Columbia Lake.





Mt. Aeneas is easily accessible from the popular Pedley Pass (2250 metres) and Bumpy Meadows trail. The Pedley Pass trail is well maintained and well graded and provides a pleasant hike to tree line with great views.


Getting There

The Stanford Range is surrounded by roads. Two primary highways, highway 93 along the northern edge in Kootenay National Park, and highway 93/95 in the Columbia Valley provide access to the region. Highway 93 connects to the Banff National Park and the Trans Canada Highway with Canmore about 170 kilometres from the northern Columbia Valley town of Invermere. Calgary is about 270 kilometres from Invermere.

Highway 95 travels north to Golden, where it connects to the Trans Canada Highway, and combined highway numbering of 93/95 travels from Radium south to Cranbrook. Highway 93/95 is the region’s primary highway.

From Invermere drive south on Highway 93/95 and turn left (east) onto Windermere Loop Road, about 3 km from town. Then right onto the Westroc Mine haul road; this road is heavily used by large haul trucks, give right of way to these vehicles. Just past the mine site, stay to the left at the next intersection, the middle fork of Windermere Creek. Stay on the main road (most travelled) and at the end of the road, about 15 km from the start of the Westroc Mine road, the road ends at a signed trail head. The trail starts beside the trail sign and is very obvious.



You reach Pedley Pass in 2 kilometres, then head south on a good trail to a small tarn (2235m, GR reference 863877 | 50.4366800 , -115.786629) below the north face of a beautiful outlier of Mt. Aeneas.

Red Tape

Essentially there is none. The majority of the Stanford Range is B.C. Crown Land. Crown Land is generally available for camping anywhere, unless leased to a specific party for resource development, farming or ranching. Any leased area are generally signed as such. No fee or registration required for parking, camping or climbing. Wear bright clothes during hunting season!



When to Climb

Typical Canadian Rockies situation with July and August providing the driest conditions. The steep scree ascent gully can hold snow into July.



Approach

From Pedley Pass head south on a good trail to a small tarn (2235m, GR reference 863877 | 50.4366800 , -115.786629). Then head straight south, circumnavigate the lake on either side, and head into a basin north of Mt. Aeneas.


Approaching Mount Aeneas - Panorama


Route Descriptions

The only published information on Mt. Aeneas is in the excellent guidebook “Hikes around Invermere and the Columba River Valley” by Aaron Cameron and Matt Gunn. This guide describes an easy ascent of the north-west scree slopes of Mt. Aeneas (Class 3) and a traverse from the summit of Mt. Aeneas to Indian Head Mountain (Class 4).



- North West Slopes (Class 3)

From the alpine tarn basically head straight south. Circumnavigate the lake on either side and head into a basin north of Mt. Aeneas. In about 800 metres, a steep headwall is broken by several steep scree gullies. The largest and most left gully (about 150 metres (500 feet) in vertical height) provides easy access to a upper scree shelf below the summit.




This scree slope is steep near the top and often snow covered into mid summer; be prepared for steep and hard snow if scrambling before August. Once above the gully head towards the west ridge. Hike up the west ridge to the summit. Descend the same route.



Mount Aeneas Summit Panorama video clip from Hulio .

Summit panorama youtube video


- Traverse from Mt. Aeneas to Indian Head Mtn. – North to South (Difficult/Moderate Scrambling - Class 4)

From the summit of Mt. Aeneas head south east towards an obvious summit about 1.5 km away. There are sections of Class 4 ridge scrambling to reach the next highpoint at GR 871856 (2667 metres) Unofficial Name (50:25:06 | -115:46:34). Continue south to a treed col, then ascend the north ridge of Indian Head Mountain (Class 4 and exposed terrain to traverse summit ridge on Indian Head Mtn.). Descend south ridge of Indian Head Mountain, then west ridge to a low treed col. From col head north into Madias Creek. A second vehicle for a shuttle back to Windermere Creek is recommended.



Reference

Hikes around Invermere and the Columba River Valley by Aaron Cameron and Matt Gunn.