Mount Agassiz (Desolation) Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 47
Hiking Metal Maniac

Hiking Metal Maniac - Dec 20, 2020 7:13 pm Date Climbed: Jul 4, 2020

Pyramid -Aggassiz day  Sucess!

From Horsetail Falls, climbed up into the Aloha Basin, up to Pyramid Lake, up to Pyramid's north saddle, then along the ridge to Peak 9686 and Mount Aggassiz, then back along the ridge, up to Pyramid Peak and down the other side, using the Rocky Trail Canyon to return to Strawberry.

Nate.heron - Jul 27, 2020 7:16 pm Date Climbed: Jul 23, 2020

Lower Crystal range traverse  Sucess!

Started from down by Ropi and climbed up Pyramid then across over Agassiz and then Price. Tried to climb up around to Jack's then Dicks but got a little lost and had to climb down to Aloha.

colingregory

colingregory - Jul 27, 2020 2:08 pm Date Climbed: Jul 26, 2020

Backpack  Sucess!

Day 3. Woke up overlooking lake Aloha from the north. We packed up and started side-hilling directly to Mosquito Pass, which more or less worked out. Once down we immediately started up the 'slabs of insanity', a route found on summitpost. While very fun, I wouldn't call it insane. We forced class 3 when we could, and found a couple tough moves on the beginning of the route because we were reluctant to find the easy way up. All in all, we were nearing Mount Price before I expected. I had looked up some beta on how to access the summit but only remembered half of it. We were intent on making as direct a route as possible, so we did encounter some tougher class 3 near the top. After summiting we hiked over to the next peak, Mount Agassiz which is on no lists but has a very impressive summit block. Lunched up top and could see clouds forming in the distance to the south again. We still had to traverse over to Pyramid, encounter some 'class 4' moves at the saddle, then climb the worst talus slope of this trip. We were tired, but it wasn't long before we were atop Pyramid, hearing the become more frequent. We started hearing static electricity coming from our shoes while standing on rocky areas up top, something I've never even heard about. Needless to say we skipped our snacks and ran down the boulders as safely as we could to find the trail at long last. It was an easy going 3.5 miles back to 50 and a half mile or so up to our car. A very successful weekend traversing from Tallac, Dicks, & Jacks the two days prior.

pezzotto

pezzotto - Jul 12, 2020 6:24 pm Date Climbed: Jul 11, 2020

Crystal Range Traverse  Sucess!

The whole Crystal Range Traverse

DaveWillmott

DaveWillmott - Sep 11, 2019 1:53 pm Date Climbed: Sep 10, 2019

Mt. Agassiz and Mt. Price in one day  Sucess!

5 of us started out at 8:45 am and finished at 8:30 pm in the dark. It was a cool day. I usually climb this via Smith or Island Lake as I have always hated the 5 mile hike to where the uphill really starts. We hiked first to Lyons Lake and climbed the rock to the right of the gully and the spires. We reached Price in about 5 hours (not bad for being 84) and had lunch. We then traversed to Agassiz, climbed the table top and descended down to Sylvia Lake. Next time I will do my usual route via Island Lakes and descend via Smith and Heather.

patricklynch88

patricklynch88 - Aug 23, 2019 12:42 am Date Climbed: Aug 17, 2019

Lyons Creek Trailhead  Sucess!

Mt Price and Mt Agassiz via Lyons Creek Trailhead and Lyons Lake. We were on the trail by 10:30 and made it to Lyons lake by 12:30 (with a number of stops to talk with other hikers along the way). Around 1:50, after eating lunch and making camp, we continued our hike by wrapping around the West side of the lake and then following the creek to the upper part of the valley. We made it to the summit of Mt Price by 3pm and then traversed back down to the upper plateau and across to the summit of Mt Agassiz by 4pm. Party of 2. 7 miles and 3 hour 10 minutes to the summit (excluding our lunch break) of Mt Price. Another 30 minutes of hiking to make our way across to Mt Agassiz. Weather was sunny with no cloud coverage but mild winds kept the temperature from being overly hot. The trail up to Lyons Lake is well shaded. 3,275 ft elevation gain to summit of Mt. Price and probably another 250 ft for Mt Agassiz. We were able to do a bit of glacading on the way back down to Lyons Lake.

labgloves

labgloves - Jun 13, 2016 11:16 pm Date Climbed: Jun 11, 2016

pyramid to price  Sucess!

pyramid to price

Fairweather

Fairweather - Oct 25, 2015 4:12 pm Date Climbed: Jun 13, 2009

From Wrights Lakes x2  Sucess!

Repeat hike from previous year.
This time I brought Todd.

Brian Asher

Brian Asher - Oct 20, 2014 6:52 pm Date Climbed: Oct 19, 2014

Pyramid, Aggasiz, Price  Sucess!

Pyramid, Aggasiz, and Price.

Started at Lyons Creek Trailhead. I ran the gentle uphill for the first 4.5 miles of the trail before hitting Sylvia Lake. At Sylvia Lake look straight across the far side of the lake for the only major notch in the ridge about 800 feet above you. Head around Sylvia Lake to the left and start heading straight up on rock slabs and talus. A faint trail appears when you are nearly at the top of the notch. When you reach the top of the notch the view opens up and Pyramid can be seen ahead and to the left. The trail seems to stop and start as you head directly towards the false summit below the peak. Once you reach the false summit the true peak comes into view directly ahead of you.

Head down the northeast (backside of Pyramid Peak) and stay on the north side of the ridge. This is slow going, heading across the talus on this sloping traverse staying below the ridge. Pass under the first major highpoint on the ridge and shoot for a notch before the second highpoint. It is doable class 3 scrambling to get up to this notch. From the notch the long traverse to Aggasiz is in full view. Stay on the west side (left if heading from Pyramid to Aggasiz) of the ridge. Although not difficult this is a slow traverse and will likely take some patience. When approaching the summit of Aggasiz head towards the notch to the left of the summit, then go left. Although one can pull themselves up to the summit block on the south side, the north side provides for a bit easier access in getting up to the awesome summit.

The traverse from Aggasiz to Price is simple and in front of you. After the Pyramid-Aggasiz traverse the ease of the Aggasiz-Price traverse is a welcomed sight! After heading down Mount Price you can shoot down into either of the two basins south of the summit. Both will lead you down to Lyons Lake which will become visible after descending further down in the basin. Stay to the west side of Lyons Lake where you will pick up a trail leading you down to the junction with the Lyons Creek trail. After another 4.5 miles down the Lyon’s Creek Trail you finally arrive at the Lyon’s Creek Trailhead. This hike took me 7 hours, and I ran the first 4.5 and last 4.5 miles.

cab

cab - Jul 21, 2014 11:16 am Date Climbed: Jul 19, 2014

From Pyramid  Sucess!

On the way from Pyramid to Price.

seano

seano - May 29, 2014 3:07 pm Date Climbed: May 14, 2014

Traverse from Pyramid  Sucess!

Continuing on a loop from Pyramid to Tallac. Cool summit. Trip report.

trexkerry - Aug 8, 2013 4:29 pm Date Climbed: Aug 3, 2013

Price and Agassiz  Sucess!

Traversed the Price and Agassiz ridge - trip report here:
http://www.mountainhiker.org/trip_report.aspx?id=97

JGHarrison

JGHarrison - Aug 5, 2013 8:34 pm Date Climbed: Jul 1, 2012

Crystal Range Traverse  Sucess!

good traverse.

Daria

Daria - Jul 29, 2013 1:32 pm Date Climbed: Jul 7, 2013

High crystal range traverse  Sucess!

Done as the traverse from price, to Agassiz, then went on to pyramid. Great range traverse and the summit of Agassiz was unique!

tyler4588

tyler4588 - Jun 12, 2012 3:43 pm Date Climbed: Jun 8, 2012

From Lyons Lake  Sucess!

With Price Peak. Nice views of a still partially frozen Lake Aloha. It was very windy up there.

WayneFry

WayneFry - Dec 29, 2011 3:04 am Date Climbed: Dec 27, 2011

South Ridge  Sucess!

In from Lake Sylvia via the south ridge and out on the west slope to Lyons lake. Great route and an awesome view at the summit. About a 12 mile trek from the Lyons lake TH.

dkangas - Sep 18, 2011 6:50 pm Date Climbed: Aug 19, 2009

With Mt Price  Sucess!

Went from Wright's lake past Grouse Lake. Did Agassiz first, then over to Price and down the Northwest face of Price to Island lake. Fine day.

Marmaduke

Marmaduke - Aug 6, 2011 7:39 pm Date Climbed: Aug 4, 2011

With my Son  Sucess!

Climbed with my son Tyler. Camped on the saddle and walked to Price as well. Nice weather, great views. Very cool summit block!!

birdhead

birdhead - Aug 1, 2011 12:02 am Date Climbed: Jul 31, 2011

From Mt Price  Sucess!

Traversed over from Mt Price. Descended via Sylvia Lake and found some nice waterfalls along the creek.

Darren9

Darren9 - Jul 16, 2011 5:02 am Date Climbed: Jul 2, 2011

Pyramid Agassiz traverse  Sucess!

SMG - Up the Pyramid North Couloir to summit, down the sometimes exposed ridge traverse to Agassiz and back to Lake Sylvia. Fun scrambling on rock and snow.

Viewing: 1-20 of 47
Return to 'Mount Agassiz (Desolation)' main page