Mount Arvon Comments

ScottUntitled Comment

Scott

This is a good page. I'll never drive up there to climb it, but the page is well done.
Posted Sep 4, 2003 2:28 pm

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

I've always been curious about the low mountains that pop up around the shores of the Great Lakes. Very few sources of information about them. The photos I've been able to find about them, while few, are sometimes impressive. Wonder if anyone has sponsored a page featuring one of the peaks in the Porcupine Mountains?

Posted Dec 14, 2003 10:21 am

GrantUntitled Comment

Grant

very nice
Posted Jan 18, 2004 6:55 pm

ChrisUntitled Comment

Chris

Very nice. I was in Marquette a few years ago, but never made it over to Avron. Now that don't live in the midwest and it's a 1500 mile trip, I wish I would have :-)

Thanks,

- Chris
Posted Dec 6, 2004 5:39 pm

Bill OttUntitled Comment

Bill Ott

Looks like you've got some great hiking partners.
Posted Mar 4, 2005 12:14 am

IlafanUntitled Comment

Ilafan

Good driving directions
Posted Apr 3, 2005 5:50 pm

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Used to go skiing at Big Powderhorn, Indianhead and Blackjack. Coldest I have ever been in my life, 65 below with the wind chill. Nice country.
Posted Apr 3, 2005 9:45 pm

AlpinistUntitled Comment

Alpinist

Nice page.
Posted Jul 26, 2005 8:50 pm

2skinnersUntitled Comment

2skinners

Very nice page!!
Posted Jan 13, 2006 9:07 am

RedwicAnother route to/from the summit?

Redwic

The locals seemed to think that there is a quicker drivable method of reaching the summit than what is listed here, but only if one knows the backroads well enough. I stuck to your instructions, which were very good, and it all worked out OK (although it took longer than I anticipated).
Posted Jul 7, 2008 11:52 am

dwhikeRe: Another route to/from the summit?

dwhike

I have never heard anything about this route. From my experience in the area the surrounding roads can be quite rough at any time of year (anyone who tried to summit Arvon before the road upgrades will agree with this). I would love to find out though if anyone has more info!
Posted Jul 9, 2008 9:37 am

JohnMcPikeIs Arvon visible from...

JohnMcPike

We noticed a couple of "bumps" along the mountains when we were along the Baraga shoreline. I take it that one of them is Arvon? Also, is Arvon visible from the Keweenah Peninsula?
Posted Oct 10, 2013 12:05 pm

dwhikeRe: Is Arvon visible from...

dwhike

The only place I know that you can see Arvon from across the water is along the east shore of Point Abbaye north of L'anse. I believe the Keweenaw Peninsula is too far distant to view the summit. If the view from the Baraga shoreline you are referring to is south of the town of Baraga the high 'bump' you see is Mt. Curwood which is Michigan's second highest point by less than a foot.
Posted Oct 20, 2013 4:19 pm