Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.44420°N / 111.0022°W
Additional Information Elevation: 10154 ft / 3095 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Blackmore, located in the Gallatin National Forest, is a beautiful, volcanic peak located just south of Bozeman, Montana. Located just below the peak is Hyalite Canyon, a hang out for local climbers. Also, located at the base of Mount Blackmore is Hyalite Reservoir. The trail to Mount Blackmore is well used by locals from Bozeman.

The East Ridge and North Face...




The starting elevation for the hike is 6,720. The elevation gain is 3,434 feet from the trailhead and the hike is approximately (5) miles. The estimated time to climb Mount Blackmore is (2) to (4) hours.




Getting There

Departing from Bozeman, Montana, at Main Street and 19 th Street, you will take 19 th Street headed south and west out of town, passing by Montana State University. 19 th Street will become South 19 th Road. Follow this for approximately (7) miles until you reach the turn to Hyalite Canyon. Make a left hand turn onto Hyalite Canyon Road and continue for approximately (10) miles to the trailhead. The trailhead is located immediately to the right hand side of the road just prior to the dam for Hyalite Reservior. There is a small, gravel parking lot and the trailhead is well marked.

Red Tape

The are no permits nor fees for climbing Mount Blackmore.

Parking is free and passes are not required.

Concerning wildlife conservation or safety, beware of bears. The day we hiked on Blackmore Trail, the park service had posted a sign stating that there was a recent moose kill along the trail near Blackmore Lake and warned of recent Grizzley sightings in that area.

When To Climb

Mount Blackmore is normally climbed in the months of May through September. Winter travel would be difficult and necessary precautions(i.e. snow shoes, crampons, etc.) would be required.

An afternoon of skinning...


As I like to hike with USGS maps, you will need to take both Fridley Peak and Mount Blackmore quad sheets.

If you're interested in ice climbing, check out Montana Ice for routes and conditions. I've posted a link in the links section.

Camping

There are plenty of campsites along Hyalite Canyon Road. These are roadside campsites which do not offer any services.

There are several campgrouds located at Hyalite Reservoir. Located at the lower end of the reservoir is Chisolm Campground and mid way along the northern shore is Hood Creek Campground. And at the upper end of the reservoir is Blackmore Campground.

Additional information can be obtained by calling 406-587-6701.

Weather Conditions

Need Gear ?

If you're climbing in the Bozeman area, there are (2) climing shops located in downtown Bozeman.

Try either Barrel Mountaineering on Main Street in downtown Bozeman, or Northern Lights Trading Company, which is also located in town. I've posted links to both of these stores in the links section.

They are also an excellent spot to get local information on climbing conditions, etc.

The East Ridge goes with...

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Matt K

Matt K - Aug 28, 2004 12:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

There is a campsite along the trail a couple of minutes past Blackmore Lake, about 2 miles from the trailhead. Other unofficial campsites exist along the route, including a very small site (just a fire ring really)to the right of the footbridge around 8000 feet.

Matt K

Matt K - Aug 28, 2004 1:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

It took my wife and I about 4 hours and 50 minutes to reach the peak. Without any long stops, most people will probably take 3 to 3.5 hours. Our time included a long lunch and a few other short breaks. Plan for around 2 hours just to descend the 5.3 miles back to the parking lot.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.