Mount Elbert Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-17 of 17
vanman798

vanman798 - Sep 9, 2009 12:02 pm - Hasn't voted

14,433 ft

Most other sites list the evelation as 14,433 ft. See http://peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=5736 for example.

Alan Ellis

Alan Ellis - Sep 9, 2009 4:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: 14,433 ft

Peakbagger.com is incorrect. You need to read paragraph three of the main Mt. Elbert page.

vanman798

vanman798 - Sep 9, 2009 6:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: 14,433 ft

Thanks, I should have read that "a recent survey of several Colorado peaks, including Mt. Elbert, concluded that Mt. Elbert is actually 14,440 ft."

By the way, who does these surveys? Is it the USGS? Must be someone else cause the USGS site (see http://egsc.usgs.gov/isb/pubs/booklets/elvadist/elvadist.html#14,000) lists it at 14,433 ft, but that is a 1967 figure (from the National Geodetic Survey).

Sorry, I'm just very curious as to when and who did the most recent survey and came up with 14,440 ft.

Alan Ellis

Alan Ellis - Sep 9, 2009 9:27 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: 14,433 ft

It is not recent, but happened in 2002. Here is a 2002 article from the Denver Post: Denver Post

Scott

Scott - Sep 9, 2009 9:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: 14,433 ft (not a resurvey)

If interested, it really wasn't a resurvey as mentioned on the mountain page.

It was just a recalculation of the old surveyed elevations and Elbert was not resurveyed.

It's actually a world wide adjustment (some areas went up and some down) and not unique to Mount Elbert or Colorado. It's actually a recalculation of the geoid:

Geoid definition

Most elevations in the world changed with the new calculation.

Alan Ellis

Alan Ellis - Sep 9, 2009 10:20 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: 14,433 ft (not a resurvey)

Scott, I made changes to the text on the main page. Let me know if it sounds right and is accurate. Thanks.

Scott

Scott - Sep 9, 2009 10:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: 14,433 ft (not a resurvey)

Looks good.

I guess there will be lots of different elevations floating around out there for a long time. I haven't bothered changing all my SP pages to the new calculated elevations!

vanman798

vanman798 - Sep 10, 2009 12:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks

I appreciate the information. I think Scott is right when he says "I guess there will be lots of different elevations floating around out there for a long time."

This re-calculation makes me wonder about the Borah Peak story - that it rose 7 feet after a 1983 earthquake. Prehaps the National Geodetic Vertical Datum of 1988 is responsible for the 7 foot rise more so than the earthquake. Anyways…

Thanks

xDoogiex

xDoogiex - Jul 25, 2011 12:47 pm - Hasn't voted

camp prices

Elbert Creek and halfmoon creek campgrounds are now 13$

Alan Ellis

Alan Ellis - Jul 25, 2011 2:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: camp prices

Thank you. I'll make the change.

AE

Vic Hanson

Vic Hanson - Jul 9, 2017 7:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: camp prices

Was just at Lakeview Campground a few minutes ago and the price is now $19. Lots of free boondocking just beyond there.

Humnaman@gmail.com - Mar 21, 2015 3:38 pm - Hasn't voted

question

hello! sir, i was just doing a project on mount Elbert and wanted to know What seasons do we have here ,precipitation, storms etc. and what natural disasters can most probably occur here and some prominent physical features ,i couldn't find the relevant information on the net and thought you could be a great help.
thank you!
and sorry for being a bother

frankg - Sep 8, 2016 1:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Camping and Lodging

The Nordic Inn Bed and Breakfast in Twin Lakes, CO mentioned in the Camping and Lodging section for Mount Elbert is actually now called the Twin Lakes Inn. The Inn and its owners and staff couldn't be nicer. The link on the site will take you to the correct website for the Inn.

MSD - Sep 21, 2016 11:46 am - Hasn't voted

UPDATE: South Mt. Elbert Trail - 4WD to Upper Trailhead

Attempted to go to the upper trailhead Monday, September 19, 2016 in a stock 2016 Jeep Cherokee 4x4. Had to turn back within ½ mile. Ruts were too deep to manage. Only one vehicle was at upper trailhead ... a Jeep Wrangler with a serious lifting kit. Would not consider this a typical "4WD" recommendation ... more of an "Off Road" vehicle recommendation. Hiked from the lower trailhead, then NOT up the road BUT along the common CDT/CT Trail which adds about 5 miles roundtrip to the posted summit estimations.

sam807 - Sep 19, 2017 1:34 pm - Hasn't voted

First 14er

I climbed Mt Elbert during October, 2016. It was beautiful weather with a few clouds in the afternoon. Unless you have a solid four-wheel drive vehicle, you will not be able to drive up the access road. One part of the road had a stream with sizeable rocks crossing it. We parked at bottom and hiked the two something miles up to the trail head. The trail is well defined and winds through beautiful aspen woods until it breaks out into a wide slope. From there, you start gaining more serous elevation. The switchbacks on the last bit of the hike are a little tiring, but overall, the hike isn't too strenuous. This mountain is a good introduction to 14ers.

Doubleawilly - Sep 1, 2019 4:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Camp fee update

Just completed this one. Camping at Halfmoon and Elbert Creek campgrounds near the North Mt Elbert trailhead are now $20 not $13

James Bednar - Oct 7, 2019 9:59 am - Hasn't voted

My toughest state highpoint- yet!!

I conquered Mt Elbert in July 2009 during the 4th of July weekend. My main thought then was to nab this highpoint, then drive on down to New Mexico and nab that highpoint. Nope - that was NOT happening!!

Living on the flat prairies of Kansas for some time, vastly over estimated my abilities for mountain hiking. Arrived trail head around 7:30AM and returned to trail head at 7:00PM!! Most of the hike was moderate for me until getting past the tree line, then the hiking became more strenuous. Had to take quite a few breaks just to catch my breath - hike for about 10 minutes then rest for about 15 minutes.

Had plenty of people pass me by and they all kept encouraging me to continue on. After about 7 hours of hiking, I eventually made it to the summit and some awesome views of the mountain tops!!! Yep - some snow/ice encountered. Had a small rain squall pass through the area during the hike up, but nothing to worry about. Had lunch at summit and admired the views for about 1/2 hour.

Descent down took roughly 5 hours and reached the parking lot. Must admit, could not walk straight for about 2 weeks afterwards, was all tuckered out. The camp ground was full for the holiday weekend, so drove south and spent the night in Salina, CO, and watched the fireworks there.

This was my 21st state highpoint visited.

Viewing: 1-17 of 17
Return to 'Mount Elbert' main page