Mount Elbert Comments

Viewing: 41-60 of 82 « PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT »

Alan EllisUntitled Comment

Alan Ellis

Thanks for the vote . I don't know how to feel being compared to Roach, but thanks for the comments. This page has evolved with the help of several SP members including Kane, Aaron, Downey and others. I figured the highest peak in Colorado deserves a top-notch page. Thanks again....

Alan
Posted Nov 9, 2003 7:14 am

Alan EllisUntitled Comment

Alan Ellis

I thought I would give the Elbert page a winter touch. One of your pictures is now the signature photo. Good shot!
Posted Dec 6, 2003 9:58 pm

AlpinistUntitled Comment

Alpinist

Great page Alan! It is very helpful in planning my trip. The route pages could use a little more detail though, especially given the stature of this peak as the highest in CO. (I know they're not your pages.) Even though they are Class I trails, more thorough descriptions would be especially helpful during winter when the trails are covered...
Posted Nov 17, 2003 2:46 pm

Alan EllisUntitled Comment

Alan Ellis

You're right about the routes. Luckily, most of the Elbert trails are well-worn paths and easy to follow (in summer). Winter snow cover offers unique challenges. I don't know if a more detailed route description would help much. Map and compass or GPS with map capability would probably be better than a route description.

Don't forget to look at the "Additonal Posts" of the Mt. Elbert Trail route description. There is more info in those posts.

The South Mt. Elbert Trail is pretty straight forward. Once you reach the high 4wd trailhead, cross a stream via a bridge, turn right, and follow the signs. The trail soon turns left off of the Colorado trail and begins to immediately climb up and switchback up through the aspen forest. After the aspens, you will arrive on a ridge in a conifer forest. Elbert will now be visible to the west. Hike west through the conifer and you will soon be above treeline. Once above treeline, head to the ridge to your right and ascend the ridge to the summit. Here is a picture of what you will see once above treeline. Also, you can go to my website where there are a few more pictures.
Posted Nov 17, 2003 3:36 pm

AlpinistUntitled Comment

Alpinist

Hey, many thanks! That's really helpful.
Posted Nov 17, 2003 7:39 pm

HalikuUntitled Comment

Haliku

Well done!
Posted Nov 19, 2003 10:13 pm

Alan EllisUntitled Comment

Alan Ellis

Thanks for the vote and the comments.

ae
Posted Dec 7, 2003 8:44 pm

JonBradfordUntitled Comment

JonBradford

Alan,

I am glad I finaly stumbled upon your Mount Elbert page. It is very polished... Isn't it time for you to move to Colorado if you insist on representing its highest peak :)

Jon
Posted Feb 12, 2004 8:23 pm

Alan EllisUntitled Comment

Alan Ellis

Jon, thanks for the vote. I would love to live there but the good job and low cost of living is here. I guess I will just have to live vicariously through you guys.

Alan
Posted Feb 13, 2004 7:48 am

ScottUntitled Comment

Scott

A very popular peak, even in winter.
Posted Mar 15, 2004 12:20 pm

miztflipUntitled Comment

miztflip

Great job Alan, looks like your getting the hang of the html stuff. I need to get on the ball.
Posted Apr 6, 2004 12:33 am

tloganUntitled Comment

tlogan

Great page!
Posted May 13, 2004 6:48 pm

Alan EllisUntitled Comment

Alan Ellis

Thanks for the vote and the comments.

Alan
Posted May 13, 2004 8:19 pm

Alan EllisUntitled Comment

Alan Ellis

Thanks for the vote.

Alan
Posted May 19, 2004 8:02 am

Alan EllisUntitled Comment

Alan Ellis

Thanks for the vote. Are you planning a Mt. Elbert trip?

Alan
Posted May 19, 2004 8:55 pm

The Lower MarmotUntitled Comment

The Lower Marmot

Not for any time soon. I'd like to do it as a winter ascent eventually since the main routes are all class 1-2 and it seems like it can get fairly crowded, but I don't have any time in particular that I'm thinking about going out there. Right now I'm just going through and voting on the Colorado pages that I have failed to as of yet, and that brought me to Elbert.
Posted May 19, 2004 11:19 pm

Alan EllisUntitled Comment

Alan Ellis

I am doing a winter Elbert trip next year. Maybe we can get together. I have a couple of more folks who are also interested. It's a tough nut to crack in winter......a very long day.
Posted May 20, 2004 9:27 am

Alan EllisUntitled Comment

Alan Ellis

Thanks for the vote.

Alan
Posted Jul 14, 2004 11:56 am

Alan EllisUntitled Comment

Alan Ellis

David, Thanks for the vote.

Alan
Posted Aug 11, 2004 7:56 am

dpUntitled Comment

dp

Your are most welcome, Alan- you have done an incredible job on the Elbert page. I'm hoping to climb it in about 2 weeks, depending on time off (also hope to do Longs via the Keyhole that week, which is the first priority)
Posted Aug 12, 2004 1:11 am