Viewing: 1-20 of 32 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

BorUntitled Comment

Bor

Nice page! I will return then when you will put up other photos!

Cheers Bor!
Posted Oct 10, 2004 10:17 am

DeanUntitled Comment

Thank you Bor for your early confidence in this effort. I will continue to add photos, route descriptions and other details as the day progresses. I recognize that this is not a dramatic looking mountain but it does have some value to those of us who chase after county highpoints here in the U.S.A. County highpoints vary from significant peaks like Mt. Rainier in Washington state and Mt. McKinley in Alaska to places like the side of a Mt. Grafton. The summit of Mt. Grafton is in the neighboring county so it makes this kind of interesting at time.

Again, thank you. I appreciate your vote.
Posted Oct 10, 2004 10:38 am

BorUntitled Comment

Bor

Yes Dean!

I have suggestion!

Why shouldn`t you put photos to the main page?

It will be nice!

Cheers Bor!
Posted Oct 10, 2004 3:43 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

I also enjoy pics on the main page but at this point I still have too few to make it work as nicely as your pages do. I'm hopeful that my companion on this effort got some better pics than I did. For some reason, many of my pictures were of poor quality.

Thank you for your suggestion.
Posted Oct 10, 2004 8:41 pm

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

Nevada has mountains indeed. I like driving through its rugged Basin & Range landscapes.

A nice thing about mountain ranges is that there can be all different types. I appreciate things about all types, be they like the Cascades, the Rockies, the Mojave, other.

Can you point me to a link/list of Nevada's 177 most prominent peaks?
Posted Oct 10, 2004 2:34 pm

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

Thanks. Hadn't seen that one. I've seen about four similar ones, though.

Try this map on for size.
Posted Oct 10, 2004 8:55 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Paul, I'm sure you've already seen this but here is a list of the 178 Nevada Prominence peaks.
Posted Oct 15, 2004 6:03 pm

Lee StammUntitled Comment

Lee Stamm

Nice page. Always happy to see more about the lesser known areas. One small correction, however. "nevada" in spanish refers to snow, as in snow-capped or snowy. Mountains are "montanas" - mountains, or "sierra" - mountain range.
Posted Oct 10, 2004 3:40 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thanks Lee, you are absolutely correct. I started this page at 4 a.m. and obviously I needed more caffeine.

Having grown up in California I should have remembered that "Sierra Nevada" meant snowy mountains. Thanks for taking the time and providing that input. Thanks also for the vote, I appreciate it.
Posted Oct 10, 2004 5:33 pm

desainmeUntitled Comment

desainme

There seems to be another range 20 or so miles west of Wheeler. I suppose that one could walk all the way across Nevada by crossing the flats at night and carrying enough water from one range to the next.
Posted Oct 10, 2004 5:20 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Yes, that range is part of the same range that Grafton is a part of. It is called the Schell Creek range. What is amazing however is to see the peaks of ranges on all sides of you. To the northeast of Wheeler Peak is Mt. Moriah, a great looking peak as well as Ibapah, off to the northeast. I stood on Ibapah a couple of weeks ago and looked southwest to Wheeler. Check out this neat map of Nevada.

I'll get around to posting a link on the main page later today but I thought you might enjoy it more than most.

Thanks for your comments and vote, I really appreciate your input.
Posted Oct 10, 2004 5:41 pm

desainmeUntitled Comment

desainme

Thanks for the map. Looks like your next target could be 30-40 miles west of Grafton. There is a real good one having 4000 feet of prominence!
Posted Oct 10, 2004 5:53 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Actually, my next Nevada effort will be for the last three county highpoints that I have left to do down there.

Nye's county So. Jefferson

Mineral county's Mt. Grant

and Star Peak of Pershing county.

It is this crazy chasing after the 17 county highpoints of Nevada that has had me enthralled with this neat state and after the county highpoints are done, then there will be the other Nevada peaks to chase after. At my age, it will keep me busy for years to come.

www.cohp.org has a ton of info on this stuff.
Posted Oct 10, 2004 6:02 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thank you for your vote. More pictures will be forthcoming in case you check back at a later date. I'm sure my partner got some better pics of the overall mountain.
Posted Oct 10, 2004 8:27 pm

hgrapidUntitled Comment

hgrapid

Looks cool. Thanks for the page!
Posted Oct 10, 2004 8:53 pm

mtwashingtonmonroeUntitled Comment

mtwashingtonmonroe

Wonderful page! Great coverage of this mountain! Have a good one!

-Britt
Posted Oct 10, 2004 11:43 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thanks Britt, I always appreciate your comments and votes.
Posted Oct 11, 2004 3:30 pm

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

A complete page again. Good info and nice pictures!
Posted Oct 11, 2004 11:03 am

Dennis PoulinUntitled Comment

Dennis Poulin

Great Page, Very Infomative.
Posted Oct 11, 2004 12:51 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thank you Dennis. Please join me in the summit log as the co-completer of our North Creek adventure.
Posted Oct 11, 2004 3:33 pm