Viewing: 1-2 of 2
stinkycheezman33

stinkycheezman33 - Mar 5, 2011 8:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Houghton

thanks! i can only take credit for being in the right place at the right time...nature does the rest :)

gneiss_ash - Aug 31, 2018 6:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Mt Houghton

Hiked it on 8/30/2018. Directions are spot on, even mileage wise.

However, once you get to the 1-1.1 mile mark and make a right and park and travel on foot, it gets a bit confusing. About 100 yards from that point, make another right. The road begins to climb uphill gradually and you eventually come to another spur road, stay on the main road (Right). After that, you will come to a three way intersection with an atv trail going up a steep bank to your left, the other two options didn't look well traveled when I was there.

The yellow gate itself is in pretty bad shape and can be seen up the atv trail from the three way intersection if you position yourself correctly and it's got a cool sign on it. I would strongly advise against attempting to bring an atv up this trail, as there is several demanding and technical rock crawls, but it appears to have been traveled within the past 10 years I'd say.

Once you reach the top, the atv trail kind of dies out, and there is multiple clearings (the best of which are to the south) near the summit to soak up the views. Be warned, however, the summit proper is covered in thick foliage and it can quickly become very difficult to find the atv trail back down.

The road (more of a mixed use atv trail) is pretty rough, especially after rain, but I managed in a 4wd Ford Escape until the 1 mile mark where it becomes easier to walk than drive it.

All in all, one of my favorite mountains in the area that few know about or attempt due to the approach. Didn't see a soul in the ~4 hour trip (summit nap included) on a 70 degree day.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Mount Houghton' main page