Mount Lamborn Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-16 of 16
BKiser90

BKiser90 - Jun 22, 2022 6:44 pm Date Climbed: Jun 22, 2022

Beautiful Lamborn  Sucess!

Long but beautiful excursion up Mount Lamborn. Started hiking near the beginning of the road in the McCluskey SWA, however, we could have driven further. The Forest Service just graded the road and any mid-clearance vehicle can make it to within a mile of the trailhead with good AT tires. Bell Canyon is easy to follow but quite bushy, especially in the lower-mid canyon. The aspen groves are amazing and the views from the summit expansive. The summit block is easy class 3. One of my favorite Colorado county high points. Only 11 to go!

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Jul 27, 2019 4:06 pm

Re: via Bell Canyon

agree. the bushwhack was not enjoyable, but it is done...

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Jul 27, 2019 4:05 pm Date Climbed: Jul 27, 2019

long hike via Bell Canyon  Sucess!

The road was super muddy, so walked it since car was sliding on it. Added Landsend Peak and hiked almost 20 miles. Nice day, wildflower, got soaked with rain and did not see anyone all day long.

deltadave - Jul 5, 2019 8:18 am Date Climbed: Jul 2, 2019

Mount Lamborn  Sucess!

The road to the trailhead is definitely for high clearance vehicles. We parked in a small meadow about a half mile short of the trailhead.
The hike was was rigorous, to say the least. Though fairly easy going up, the last 1/4 mile or so was 'one step at a time' pretty much straight up a 20 to 40% slope. The view from the top was really great and made the slog worth it. Coming down on the loose gravel had its challenges. Glad I went.

Jeremy Hakes

Jeremy Hakes - May 8, 2013 8:01 pm Date Climbed: May 8, 2004

Big day!  Sucess!

What a hike! Ridge and snowshoe and climbing and 2200' glissade!

Gmetzel

Gmetzel - Mar 18, 2013 4:44 am Date Climbed: Jun 14, 2005

Was there!

Made IT!

Trailboss88

Trailboss88 - Feb 27, 2012 5:26 pm Date Climbed: Oct 16, 2011

fall solitude  Sucess!

I saw this peak while working on the Uncompahgre Plateau and wanted to climb it for it's awesome prominence. Bit of a challenge finding the TH, and the road was too rough to get my compact all the way. Scenic trail up Bell Canyon with fall color, but quite a few trees across the trail. Fall color was great all along the trail and views from the ridge and summit spectacular. Would be great 2 day with camping at campsite below the summit pitch. Long but rewarding day more fun than a lot of higher mountains.

byates

byates - Oct 3, 2010 6:33 pm Date Climbed: Oct 3, 2010

Great fall colors  Sucess!

Via Bell Canyon, 2 hours 20 minutes to top, perfect time of year for this hike the fall colors were near peak they are very spectacular on this route especially the north side of Landsend Peak. The road to the trailhead was much worse than the hike, High clearance needed for the last 3 miles, I wouldn't try it in a Subie, the last mile (there is a sign that says 1 mile) is very rough and will scratch paint and make you very uncomfortable unless you are very skilled 4WD driver. I drove it but thought better of it later.

scottmitch

scottmitch - May 18, 2009 3:33 pm Date Climbed: Apr 29, 2009

north face

middle rib north face - descent down east bowl and back out to north

stopped about 1/8 mile on ridgeline short of summit becasue i was running out of time and had to make a class

kavak

kavak - Sep 24, 2008 10:32 am Date Climbed: Jul 6, 2002

Inter-Ocean Pass Trail  Sucess!

This is a much easier route to the top than Bell Canyon as long as you are comfortable with your navigation skills. The approach on the dirt roads are very slick when wet. I found this out when my Subaru tires became caked with this mud and lost their traction. I slid off the road and banged up my rims. I decided to return the next day for the climb.

shknbke

shknbke - Jun 22, 2007 2:21 pm Date Climbed: Jun 17, 2007

via Bell Canyon  Sucess!

Combined Lamborn with Landsend via Bell Canyon which made for a long day. Renata Collard finished the CO counties on Lamborn. The traverse to Landsend is not recommended unless you're doing 10ers or all the peaks in Delta county! Brutal bushwach.

jfrishmanIII

jfrishmanIII - May 25, 2007 4:46 pm Date Climbed: May 14, 2007

Almost

Beautiful hike in via Inter-Ocean Pass trail from the south. We were stopped just short of the summit cone by lingering snow and our late start.

weeds19

weeds19 - Mar 9, 2007 10:15 pm Date Climbed: Oct 12, 2003

Great aspen colors  Sucess!

A wonderful fall hike to a little visited mountain. Thoroughly enjoyable!

ktimm

ktimm - Sep 4, 2006 2:09 am Date Climbed: Sep 3, 2006

Bell Canyon  Sucess!

ROute description from Bell Canyon is very good. Take plenty of water and wear long pants. Otherwise very nice.

brianhughes

brianhughes - Oct 24, 2005 11:16 pm

Date Climbed: 1975 or 1976  Sucess!

As a Paonia native, Mount Lamborn will always be my favorite mountain. It totally dominates the view from the valley, which is 5,700 feet below. A few of us climbed Lamborn and Landsend one day on a high school field trip. I remember the school bus took us up on the mesa and dropped us off.

bigwilly

bigwilly - Jun 26, 2005 7:11 pm

Route Climbed: Bell Canyon Date Climbed: June 14,15 2005  Sucess!

Spectacular hike. Liked it so much I did it twice. Weather was so nice I took a nice one hour nap on the summit. Awesome.

Viewing: 1-16 of 16
Return to 'Mount Lamborn' main page