Mount Luxmore (Kepler Track) Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-16 of 16
T. White

T. White - Nov 23, 2017 2:27 am Date Climbed: Feb 5, 2012

Fantastic views

Views from the flanks were mesmerizing. Didn't make it to the summit due to starting late and needing to make a jetboat back to Te Anau. Was also interesting to walk around the hut grounds after most trampers had left for the day.

Baarb

Baarb - Mar 21, 2016 9:53 pm Date Climbed: Feb 20, 2016

Hurricane!  Sucess!

Took this in as part of the Kepler Track. Similar weather to rgg it sounds like though I headed out earlier rather than later. Visibility was something like 5-10 metres and was windy as hell plus the rain, just walking along was a mission. Still, it's only 10 mins off the track so went up. Couldn't see a thing but still fun all the same!

labgloves

labgloves - Jan 3, 2016 8:26 pm Date Climbed: Dec 29, 2015

Weather day  Sucess!

Quick day hike from the teanu car park when we thought weather might make other options a challenge. Thankfully, the morning clouds burned off as we approached the summit and were treated to a beautiful view.

GlennD

GlennD - Jun 14, 2015 2:33 pm Date Climbed: Dec 1, 2006

Mt Luxmore  Sucess!

Beautiful blue skies on a great day along the Kepler Track. One of my last trips around NZ after a semester abroad in Christchurch.

pingzingr

pingzingr - Mar 23, 2015 3:04 am Date Climbed: Mar 14, 2015

Via the Kepler Track  Sucess!

Great day on the high ridge along the Kepler. Our best day on the track with the best weather!

ManyGlacierMountaineer

ManyGlacierMountaineer - Feb 24, 2013 11:05 pm

Luxmore  Sucess!

2011 - w/ Xenja Poljakowa

rgg

rgg - Apr 22, 2011 11:03 am Date Climbed: Jan 31, 2007

Very windy up there  Sucess!

In the morning, it was raining persistantly. Gradually, most of the trampers in Luxmore Hut left for the ridge anyway - a few decided to stay or head back down.

We waited.

Finally, around 2 o'clock, the weather was improving and we decided to start moving - I reckoned we could still make it to Iris Burn Hut before dark. We got rewarded for going late worked out great, as the weather continued to improve. After an hour or so, the drizzle finally stopped altogether. It was very windy on Mt Luxmore though. Further along the ridge, we even got some sunshine. In the end, we arrived at the next hut around dusk.

Koen

Koen - Feb 14, 2006 11:39 am

Kepler Track  Sucess!

I did the Kepler somewhere late autumn 2000. I remember there was a bit of snow on the track and Luxmore. I have good memories about spending two nights in Mt. Luxmore hut with only one American 'tramper', sitting near the stove and musing about life and dreams. Good stuff. If you want the Kepler in quieter conditions, do it at the start of the winter season, when the huts are no longer serviced...

lostman

lostman - Jan 13, 2006 3:21 pm

Route Climbed: via Kepler Track Date Climbed: December 25, 2005  Sucess!

The short trip to this peak (along with the rest of the alpine stretch of the Kepler) was one of the best Christmas presents I've had. It looks like Rick B had great weather 2 days earlier, but we had 80 km/h winds and sideways rain. Though it made walking challenging at times, it made the ridge walks exhilirating, the views very atmospheric, and heaps of rainbows.

Rick B

Rick B - Jan 11, 2006 2:55 am

Route Climbed: Sidetrack from Kepler Date Climbed: 23 december 2005  Sucess!

Completed the whole Kepler track. Great walk! Celebrated christmas standing in lake Manapouri with a bottle of wine we carried for 3 days :-)



Summitted Luxmore on the 2nd day as a sidetrack. The views into Fiordland are fascinating. It's amazing that there's such a vast wilderness, so many peaks, and not a single road or village in it. Just mountains, forests and fiords.



The Luxmore caves are very cool to explore, did this also on the 2nd day. We were very lucky with the weather, not a single drop of rain during the entire walk. Luxmore was still cold and windy, as usual I guess.



The fourth and final day was a bit boring in my opinion, the forest wasn't that spectacular and it became a bit of a dull walk.

Dan Baker

Dan Baker - Aug 30, 2005 10:14 pm

Route Climbed: Mt Luxmore Date Climbed: Feb 2005  Sucess!

Trekked the Kepler track and summited Mt Luxmore on day 1 after dropping the pack at Lumore hut. The day was pretty chilly and the wind was up with a bit of cloud around, but the views were still pretty good. On a very clear day the views would be fantastic. I'm glad we did it on day one, because Day 2 was mega cloudy and well windy!!! We got thrown off the track once or twice by the gusts. I'll get around to typing up my trip report in here ( I have it written down in a book) and post some pics :) If you do the Kepler, also be sure to check out the luxmore caves, they are pretty cool. Also Iris burn falls are nice, not spectacular though. But the short side trip is still worth it, heck, when you are there anyway, you may as well see it all.



Safe climbing and trekking :)

hhsilleck

hhsilleck - Nov 1, 2004 9:41 pm

Route Climbed: along the Kepler track Date Climbed: March 2003  Sucess!

beautiful trek in Fiordland

ColoradoSonya

ColoradoSonya - Nov 1, 2004 9:16 pm

Route Climbed: via Kepler Track Date Climbed: March 2003  Sucess!

Made the trek with my fiance Howie ... nice scenery, nice mountain huts, annoying sandflies!

Kimberly

Kimberly - Apr 5, 2004 4:56 pm

Route Climbed: Kepler Track Date Climbed: December 2002  Sucess!

I carried our son the whole way.

Kessler

Kessler - Mar 16, 2004 6:30 pm

Route Climbed: Kepler Track Date Climbed: December 2002  Sucess!

I was the youngest person in history to be carried to the top of Mt. Luxmore!

Scott

Scott - Mar 1, 2004 10:45 am

Route Climbed: Kepler Track Date Climbed: December 2002  Sucess!

Hiked it with Kimberly, my wife, and 7 month old son. Our son set the record an was the youngest person ever to be carried along the Kepler Track.

Viewing: 1-16 of 16
Return to 'Mount Luxmore (Kepler Track)' main page