Mount McGuire Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-5 of 5

rguse - Oct 29, 2019 9:59 am Date Climbed: Jul 20, 1988

Mount McGuire  Sucess!

Need to look through my journals to find the actual date, but I reached the summit of Mount McGuire in the summer of 1988.

Super Dave

Super Dave - Oct 6, 2019 4:30 pm Date Climbed: Aug 21, 2019

Bighorn Crags!  Sucess!

Climbed McGuire as part of a 4-day backpacking trip in the Bighorn Crags. Left the trail at the end of the highest switchback above Airplane Lake. Views from the summit were excellent. The boulder hopping to gain the summit ridge was more tedious than expected, both climbing and descending. Trip Report

mjholmes

mjholmes - Jul 13, 2015 1:45 pm Date Climbed: Jul 3, 2015

Beautiful Struggle  Sucess!

It was a long struggle to the top on a bad knee, but eventually made it to the summit. Nice clear day with lovely views of Ship Island Lake and surrounding mountains.

idpeakgirl

idpeakgirl - Jul 5, 2015 8:31 pm Date Climbed: Jul 3, 2015

Super Fun Scamble  Sucess!

Day hike and climb from Harbor Lake camp. Left trail into Airplane Lake at switchback and went cross country to tarn. Began scramble just beyond tarn to the ridge. Tricky class 3 in a couple spots near the summit. New register was placed on 7/6/13 and had about 4 sign ins total. Original register also included, has earliest signature date of 192x by Myers out of New Plymouth, ID.

We packed out the next morning from Harbor, dropped packs at turn off to Welcome Lake, and day hiked to Terrace Lakes Overlook above Heart Lake - this was equally stunning! The Crags campground was deserted both coming and going, with Chris, the very nice camp host. Beware, the Boy Scouts descend on this area later in July and transform the area's ambiance as you might imagine. Rachel, Harry and crew were Forest Service staff doing an excellent job maintaining trails, signage and pointing out hidden splendors on the map. Trailhead offered color copies of a nice overview topo map.

I've nicknamed the Crags "Idaho's Little Yosemite" for obvious reasons. Wild country, and thanks to CCC in the 30s for building these incredible (blasted into granite cliffs in places) trails to make it accessible by foot.

Scrambling Man

Scrambling Man - Feb 17, 2006 5:40 pm

Climbed: South Ridge, August of 2001  Sucess!

My wife and I included this peak in our 7 day, 68 miles trek through the Frank Church. This wilderness area is vast, and offers great solitude with its pristine beauty.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Mount McGuire' main page