Viewing: 1-20 of 25 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

mpbroUntitled Comment

mpbro

Awesome page.

Is this the southernmost of the "Cascades Volcanoes" in Oregon?
Posted Mar 16, 2002 6:47 pm

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Yes, it's the tallest peak in Oregon south of the Three Sisters. There are some other smaller buttes in the 7-8000 foot range nearby but this is generally considered the southernmost Cascade volcano. You could argue I guess about Mt. Ashland or Aspen Butte among others but I think most people think McLoughlin is it.

The Siskiyous, a lower range, come in from the west in this area but, to be honest, I am not sure where they are considered to start/end. Mt. Ashland might be considered to be in this range. I'll check some sources for some more details on that range and let you know.

-Brian
Posted Mar 18, 2002 12:46 pm

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Morgan,

From the department of "more information than you really wanted"..................

McLoughlin is the southernmost Cascade volcano of consequence. There are some nearby peaks over 8000 and you can see Aspen Butte at 8208 ft in this picture looking to the southwest but there really isn't another classic volcano heading south from here until Shasta.

As for the Siskiyous, I have checked it out and according to Art Bernstein in "Hiking Oregon's Southern Cascades and Siskiyous" the Siskiyous run from north and west of the Klamath River/west of the Cascades/south of Roseburg, OR/east of the Coast Range. This range does include Mt. Ashland (it's highest peak at 7533), the Red Buttes and the Siskiyou Wilderness. I would think it's still possible to debate where one range becomes another since they all kind of merge in this area, but, to make a short story long, it's commonly held that as far as the big Cascades go, McLoughlin is it until Shasta.
Posted Mar 19, 2002 9:04 am

cjwhatUntitled Comment

cjwhat

Excellent description of options to reach trailhead. - Cory
Posted Oct 18, 2002 8:48 am

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Thanks!
Posted Oct 18, 2002 9:07 am

rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

...just daydreamin' about summer. Nice page Brian.
Posted Mar 27, 2003 10:55 am

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Thanks, this is one of my favorite hikes.
Posted Mar 27, 2003 12:18 pm

Aaron JohnsonUntitled Comment

Aaron Johnson

You have a lot of mountains, Brian. Whew! Nice job.
Posted Apr 24, 2003 9:15 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

I just did McLoughlin and now got around to reading your page. Nice work. I should have read it prior to going but this peak is a real sleeper, lots of people don't know it exists. I do now. Lots of mosquitoes right now.
Posted Jul 6, 2003 3:46 pm

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Cool! Glad you did this one. Bummer on the bugs though. I really like this one as it's the first one I did on my own overnight. Cool memories and neat hike up. Thanks for the nice words.
Posted Jul 7, 2003 5:05 pm

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Thanks for all your votes on my pages. Appreciate it.
Posted Mar 29, 2004 12:44 am

wildstarUntitled Comment

wildstar

Good page with helpful information.
Posted Nov 1, 2004 2:11 am

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Thanks! Appreciate the vote.
Posted Nov 1, 2004 1:34 pm

Larry VUntitled Comment

Larry V

Wow, that's quite a beautiful, prominent mountain. Good job. A couple of your links under the Mountain Conditions section need maintenance now.
Posted Sep 26, 2005 8:47 am

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Thanks for the vote!

Yeah, the website I linked to for weather went down. I am in the process of updating all my pages on that. Thanks.
Posted Sep 26, 2005 3:55 pm

2skinnersUntitled Comment

2skinners

I'm a little late on voting on this, but I believe this is the page that brought me to summitpost, as I was new to the area and needed more information about the mountains here.
Posted Nov 11, 2005 4:34 am

darinchadwickBroken Link

darinchadwick

Your link for the trail in the overview section is broken fyi.
Posted Jun 28, 2011 7:06 am

Brian JenkinsRe: Broken Link

Brian Jenkins

Thanks, got it fixed now. Appreciate the heads up.

Brian
Posted Jun 30, 2011 12:51 am

darinchadwickRe: Broken Link

darinchadwick

All good, I'm heading back home to Southern Oregon for the first time in many years. We're having a family shindig at Lake O the Woods so I finally get my chance\excuse to get er done, though I'd much rather Randonee it in March....
Posted Jun 30, 2011 2:20 am

Brian JenkinsRe: Broken Link

Brian Jenkins

Good deal, hope you get nice weather and views. I need to get back and do this one again, it was a lot of fun.

PS Love your profile pic. Very creative.
Posted Jul 1, 2011 12:56 am