Mount Riley Trail via Mud Bay Road

Mount Riley Trail via Mud Bay Road

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 59.18756°N / 135.38394°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Summer
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

For a small mountain, Mount Riley offers a variety of routes from several directions. Which route is best to take will depend on your time and mode of transportation as well as your choice of accommodation.

This is a short route climbing to Mount Riley along a well constructed trail. The one way distance is 2.8 miles

Getting There

This trailhead offers a very direct route to Mount Riley.

From Main Street in Haines, head south on Third Avenue, which becomes Mud Bay Road as soon as you leave town. After about 0.8 miles from Main Street, turn right on the road posted for Chilkat State Park. Follow the road to a sign for the Mount Riley Trail. This is about three miles from Main Street in Haines.

Near the TrailheadPhoto taken near the trailhead.

Route Description

From the trailhead, the trail ascends gradually a short distance before starting the switchbacks up the mountain. The trail passes through a nice spruce and hemlock forest before reaching junction just after the initial steep climb. This is 1.1 miles from the trailhead. Turn right (south) here (the left trail drops down to Lily Lake). The trail follows a small ravine before crossing a creek and then climbing once again through the forest.

The trail crosses a wet meadow on a planked trail before reaching another junction, this time with the trail from Battery Point (2.6 miles from the trailhead). From there turn right (south) again and follow the trail 0.2 miles to the summit (2.8 miles from the trailhead).

TreeTree seen on the route to Mount Riley.

Essential Gear

A good pair of boots is needed. Southeast Alaska is notorious for bad weather, so go prepared for that.

Also, since the topo maps don't show any of the trails on Mount Riley, try and pick up the publication Haines is for Hikers while in Haines.

The brochure is also available online below:

Haines is for Hikers

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.