Mount Ritter Comments

mpbroUntitled Comment

mpbro

Excellent page; it should be rated 4 stars without a doubt.

A lot of pages are missing a prosaic background to the mountain; where is it in relation to other mountains and interesting features? What are its origins? What is its human history? Ritter is a very interesting mountains (geology, glaciers, John Muir, etc.) and you do a great job of telling us about it. Also, you do a good job of guiding people through the waves of red tape. This is one of the very worst places to go without knowledge of the red tape--likely you'll pay $10 for the dumb bus.
Posted Jan 16, 2002 9:35 pm

gordonyeUntitled Comment

gordonye

Great page! Anyone attempted the west side class 2 route described by Secor? Or the route from Ritter-Banner saddle? Hoping for more routes in the future...
Posted Feb 5, 2002 10:01 pm

mpbroUntitled Comment

mpbro

Gordon, regarding the "Muir" route up the north face of Ritter from the Riter/Banner saddle...I looked down that sucker, and it looked pretty darn steep for around 1000 feet! Looks like a sustained class 3 climb, which is always more fun than a "class 3" climb with one or two moves over a boulder. But I bet the routefinding could be quite challenging. There's just something bewildering about the fractured, on-the-edge-of-the-batholith rocks. Not quite crummy metamorphic like Koip peak, but not quite clean Sierra granite, either. Dark grey and hopelessly jumbled.
Posted Feb 5, 2002 10:35 pm

Bob BurdUntitled Comment

Bob Burd

On my first attempt at Ritter I tried to find the class 2 route on the back side, but failed miserably. Granted the weather didn't help, but it hardly seemed obvious as I scouted that entire side. I was surprised to find the SE Glacier route as easy as it was a few years later, and have always thought the rating was too high.
Posted Feb 21, 2002 8:39 pm

gordonyeUntitled Comment

gordonye

Bob, as always, your trips reports are a very interesting read... Thanks!

Morgan, I think a sustained class 3 climb would be fun! One day...
Posted Feb 25, 2002 5:52 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Terrific page. I can't believe that there have only been two other people rate this page at all. It doesn't make sense since a page of this quality is invaluable to those who need or seek information on this peak. Perhaps if everyone was to do a page they'd end up stopping and showing appreciation. I salute you, excellent work. My first backpack trip I ever did was into Shadow / Garnet / 1000 Island lakes and I love the Minarets and Mt. Ritter.

Posted Dec 26, 2002 10:57 am

kletterwebbiUntitled Comment

kletterwebbi

Good page !
Posted Jan 17, 2003 9:21 am

Dave KUntitled Comment

Dave K

Great page! I love this mountain.
Posted Jan 22, 2003 5:42 pm

Kenzo OkawaUntitled Comment

Kenzo Okawa

Thanks for introducing beautiful mountain in California.
Posted Feb 20, 2004 7:51 am