Viewing: 21-39 of 39 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

bc44caesarUntitled Comment

bc44caesar

A great page...I only wish some people would get around to climbing the awesome northern routes and post routes on here!
Posted May 12, 2004 8:43 pm

Aaron JohnsonUntitled Comment

Aaron Johnson

Me too! Some of those routes are regarded as classic, too. Some day...Thanks for the vote! Your pics have added much to the Sneffels page!
Posted Jun 16, 2004 10:38 pm

MoniUntitled Comment

Moni

Very complete and great photos!
Posted Jun 11, 2004 5:06 pm

ColonelpyatUntitled Comment

Colonelpyat

Nice one. I took a few looks through the standard guide books before heading up there last month but mostly relied upon your expert description to get me there and back safely. It worked like a charm. My father wants to try this one so I may be heading back shortly. Lucky me!
Posted Jul 8, 2004 1:42 am

Aaron JohnsonUntitled Comment

Aaron Johnson

Alright Jim! Your dad will love it. Let me know how it goes. Glad the page text worked well. It should. Me and Sneffels go back a long way (1980, 8 ascents and countless trips to the area for other hikes and climbs). Thanks for the nice vote.
Posted Jul 8, 2004 5:44 pm

Kenzo OkawaUntitled Comment

Kenzo Okawa

After absent from the Summit Post for two months, I found a wonderful mountain page of Colorado!

A lot of thanks Aaron.
Posted Sep 5, 2004 8:47 am

Aaron JohnsonUntitled Comment

Aaron Johnson

Hi Kenzo-You are most kind for stopping by and voting on my pages. Thank you so much. Glad you like what you are seeing. I'm flattered!
Posted Sep 6, 2004 9:39 pm

WildmanDallasUntitled Comment

WildmanDallas

Excellent page and great pix. Question: 10 years or so ago the jump through the notch at the top of the Lavender col was just that; not very far but across a ravine... now it's full of rock - was it filled in by human trail work or nature?
Posted Sep 19, 2004 5:12 am

Aaron JohnsonUntitled Comment

Aaron Johnson

Some stones were placed below the "V-notch" over the years. The ravine you speak of is actually to the left (as you look up into the notch) and is easily avoided. However, a slip out of the notch and falling the wrong way could be...unfortunate. I've never heard of any accidents involving this spot, though.
Posted Sep 21, 2004 2:39 pm

WildmanDallasUntitled Comment

WildmanDallas

Thanks for the info. As you say, the ravine is to the left now but when I first climbed Sneffles it extended fully under the area where you jumped across, at least 50 ft. deep there and dropping off dramatically to the left, there was no going around it on that route; you really had to jump into the notch and grab hold... just a little fun adrenaline flow. It's been filled in at least 5 years now. That first time though I had too big a pack on so I had to toss it across first or the width would have kept me from jumping deep enough into the V to grab a hold. It's obviously safer now but I was still surprised to find it filled in.
Posted Sep 26, 2004 4:38 am

Brad SniderUntitled Comment

Brad Snider

SPECTACULAR!
Posted Oct 5, 2004 4:33 am

The Lower MarmotUntitled Comment

The Lower Marmot

Nicely done page on such a famous mountain.
Posted Feb 12, 2005 11:10 pm

Aaron JohnsonUntitled Comment

Aaron Johnson

Thank you Marco!
Posted Apr 26, 2005 9:22 pm

Dow WilliamsUntitled Comment

Dow Williams

Aaron, I want to take the opportunity to thank you. When I started, which was really May of this year, I had no idea what quality of page to add, nor how to vote (thought it was truly a 1-5 system), etc. I took some flack and almost didn't give it a go based on some harsh comments from the peanut gallery. But I knew the format was superior to anything I had seen and basically had your kind feedback to make me think twice about bailing. I am enjoying putting my notes and photos to good use. Thanks again and Cheers! (oh yeah, super page)

ps, I owe you a cold one if you are ever in Banff.
Posted Jun 2, 2005 9:16 pm

James CUntitled Comment

James C

Great Page! Cn't wait till i climb this one, the snake looks like fun
Posted Jul 24, 2005 8:20 pm

Larry VUntitled Comment

Larry V

Oustanding page, spruced up for the holidays, even.
Posted Dec 21, 2005 9:15 pm

lloydNice

lloyd

I climbed the South Ridge several years ago with a friend. We still talk about that climb as one of the funnest days we've had in the mountains. Looking through your site and all these great pictures brought those memories back. Thanks!
Posted Apr 20, 2008 11:40 pm

sshellmanYankee Trailhead

Hello, will be in the Ouray area next week and want to climb Mt Sneffels, but a little worried. It will only be my 2nd summit. I have climbed the Barr trail side of Pikes Peak and the Crags side of Pikes Peak (class 2) How much more difficult is class 2+ for Sneffels? Thanks for input!
Posted Aug 16, 2011 4:15 pm

mtnhiker13Re: Yankee Trailhead

mtnhiker13

The climb to the saddle is as steep as the long slope on the Crags route, and looser. The climb up the couloir is equally as steep but there are plenty of solid rocks and holds. Stay to one side or the other. At the top of the couloir is the crux move, some consider it Class 3. There is a bit of exposure, but rocks have been placed to facilitate easy entry into a V-shaped cut in the rock wall. Beyond that, there is nothing more difficult than Class 2 on solid rock. You should be fine.
Posted Aug 16, 2011 9:27 pm