desainmeUntitled Comment

desainme

It was in the news at the end of last year, that Kansas is flatter than the proverbial pancake.

But now you know how to get the top of Kansas. Looks as if the wheat in the pix could make lots of pancakes!
Posted Feb 23, 2004 9:40 pm

GrantUntitled Comment

Grant

not bad for a hill...
Posted Feb 23, 2004 10:48 pm

Bob BurdUntitled Comment

Bob Burd

You could do far worse than climb the Kansas highpoint. You could be trying to climb all the Kansas county highpoints.
Posted Feb 24, 2004 12:03 am

wuedesauUntitled Comment

wuedesau

Incredible
Posted Feb 24, 2004 4:07 am

DeanUntitled Comment

I think its great that you put up this State Highpoint. Highpointing is really one of the fun things to do and whether the highpoint is a Mt. Sunflower or a Mt. McKinley, they are all special.
Posted Feb 25, 2004 10:11 pm

hgrapidUntitled Comment

hgrapid

Absolutely true.......except Delaware, that highpoint sucks! Shhh, don't tell anyone, especially those people who commit so much time preserving the site, which lacks a site, a marker, directions, or anything else, just a few residents who happen to know that a white rock is the highpoint!
Posted Feb 25, 2004 10:46 pm

DigglerUntitled Comment

Diggler

Good contribution to SP. If you're interested in adding it, this scientific analysis was performed after contemplation of Kansas' profound flatness: http://www.improb.com/airchives/paperair/volume9/v9i3/kansas.html
Posted Mar 25, 2004 1:34 pm

Bill OttUntitled Comment

Bill Ott

You probably already know about this site, but just in case, check it out it's great. :-D http://www.dimensional.com/~jbettin/air/ks000.htm
Posted Feb 27, 2005 8:57 am

hgrapidUntitled Comment

hgrapid

Check the links section, it is already up there. Thanks for the vote.
Posted Feb 27, 2005 10:30 am

hgrapidUntitled Comment

hgrapid

Thanks for the vote!
Posted May 31, 2005 11:40 am

hgrapidUntitled Comment

hgrapid

Eight 4-star votes and you give me 1 star? How about an explanation? Sure, highpoints may not interest you, but we have ALL 50 on this site. At least 10 or more of them are relatively flat like Sunflower, but I don't see you trashing those pages. I'd like to see you be consistent here.
Posted Nov 16, 2005 11:55 am

Dave DalyUntitled Comment

Dave Daly

Guess everyone has a right to their opinion:

Your vote/comments on the Whoa Nelli Deli:

"Wow, I feel like the lone wolf. I guess this is really important to you guys. I take a lot of heat for state highpoints, which is why I have refused to put up Delaware's, but this is a still a page about a restaurant, and the food looks kind of gross. I still don't agree with having a restaurant ad. This is NOT the highpoint of Mono County, so he should change that. However, I will give in to your joke, cause you guys love this place so much, and it has mountain relevance, and give it one star."

Hmmmm......seems you've never been there as well. Talk about calling the kettle black. Live with it....
Posted Nov 16, 2005 6:16 pm

hgrapidUntitled Comment

hgrapid

That's a restaurant, not a state highpoint. That's a big difference. Of course, I am not going to get you to change your vote, and you have the right to your opinion. But you could easily systematically go through my state highpoint pages, give them bad ratings, and maybe, at the end of the day, lead people to remove them from the site altogether. I just hope that you have some respect for the work I have done on this site, just like I have respect for the work you have done with your rock climbing pages - which there is no question, belong on this site. I feel there is NO QUESTION that Sunflower belongs on this site, and furthermore, that there is NO QUESTION, that I have done a thorough and excellent job on maintaining the Mount Sunflower page.
Posted Nov 16, 2005 9:37 pm

hgrapidUntitled Comment

hgrapid

Thanks a lot for the vote!
Posted Dec 9, 2005 10:25 am

gimpilatorThe Sunflower

gimpilator

I think it's great that you put the effort into this page. While it may be hard to accept Sunflower as a mountain from the appearance, it's certainly a highpoint with a summit. This is SummitPost, not PeakPost and Sunflower belongs here. I must admit that I laughed when I first saw the photo's but that is just the nature of Kansas and I consider myself lucky not to live there. Don't worry about the argumentative skeptics. I have encountered a few mean spirited people on this site as well. Happy hiking.

Adam
Posted May 20, 2006 2:46 pm

ShaunRExtreme Kansas Climbing...

ShaunR

I worked in Topeka for a couple months and one week drove 800 MILES looking for climbing. Here's my report:

1. Rock City (near Manhattan on the 81 just above the 70) has some kinda fun bouldering on boulders rolled down from Canada by glaciers. They're kinda cute and the fireflies make it feel enchanted after dark.

2. Fall River has some tiny cliffs if you hike along the tracks far enough. I was able to place two stoppers, which was overkill. Don't waste your time.

3. Stop along the highway where they dug out some 50' slabs. Easy friction even in running shoes, but if you spend much time in Kansas, you'll be grateful anyway.

4. I kept hearing about a big cliff just west of Topeka called Echo Cliff. "People climb it all the time!" I was repeatedly assured.

Turns out "climbing" in Kansas parlance means hiking a steep trail around the side. The cliff was 80'+ of vertical, hard mud.

NOT TO BE DAUNTED, I returned the next week with ice gear. I fixed a line from the top, clipped an ascender to it, jumped 2' to hook a tiny edge, and continued hooking to the top (including a figure 4 for one reach!).

Kansas: proud birthplace of "Mud Climbing"!

P.S. Peole swore to me that there were cliffs you could rappel from around the dam above Manhattan, but I drove around it several times and found nothing.
Posted Aug 19, 2006 1:06 am

redsplashman23Great Page

redsplashman23

Great Page on Mt. Sunflower. How many more state high points do you have to go in your quest?
Posted Feb 4, 2007 9:22 pm

hgrapidRe: Great Page

hgrapid

20 more to go. My personal website on my profile page shows the ones I have done.
Posted Feb 6, 2007 4:40 pm

DVB1Good Job

DVB1

I will be driving through on my way to Tennessee next week. Always nice to have directions. Thanks.

Death Valley Bob