Mount Whitney Day Hike

Mount Whitney Day Hike

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 27, 2016
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall

Unnamed Image
Successful Day Hike to Mount Whiteny 9/27/2016

On 9/27/2016 I started on the Mount Whitney trail at 12:00 AM.  I would not get back to my car until after 3:00 PM.  In addition, I did not get any sleep at all leading up to the hike.  To say I was on fumes at the end of the hike is an understatement.  The elevation did start to get to me a bit at about 11,000 feet with my stomach becoming nauseous but I never came super close to getting sick.  The day hike is both physically and mentally very challenging.  I would often ask myself, why am I doing this?  But, I am so happy i persevered and finished this monster of a course.  I am proud to have finished it at the age of 45. If I can do it, anyone can do it.   My preparation for the hike consisted of running and doing hikes.  Up to 9/27/2016 I had ran 800 miles for the year.  I did test hikes of Rose Peak, Mount Diablo, Clouds Rest, Freel Peak and trails around Mammoth Lakes California at around 10,000 feet elevation.  I stayed at the Mammoth Mountain Inn 4 nights right before the hike, to try to acclimate.  I think this did help me very much with the hike.  I had a very hard time eating on the hike, I never really had much of an appetite.  Many times I had to force myself to eat.  Drinking water was never a problem and I kept myself fully hydrated the wholte hike.  I must have gone to the bathroom on the hike at least 20 times but I was just happy to be fully hydrated the whole time.  Overall, I am happy to have completed the hike but have no desire to do it again, Maybe, the will change someday.  :)

Comments

No comments posted yet.