Mount Whitney Comments

Viewing: 21-40 of 40 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

JohnUntitled Comment

John

Thanks for taking the time to look and vote. I took your suggestion and changed the signature photo. Take a look!
Posted Apr 11, 2004 11:44 pm

FelsbergUntitled Comment

Felsberg

good choice, beautiful pic, looks great!
Posted Apr 12, 2004 11:36 am

Gabriele RothUntitled Comment

Gabriele Roth

an old friend of mine told me that California and Italy have many common points ... even for mountains :)
Posted May 25, 2004 4:42 pm

RobertCharlesAltmanUntitled Comment

RobertCharlesAltman

Very nice page. The information helped me attain my goal of summitting. Thank you.
Posted Jul 27, 2004 7:59 am

miztflipUntitled Comment

miztflip

Awesome page for an awesome mountain.
Posted Nov 26, 2004 9:03 am

plumeUntitled Comment

plume

Great page! Whitney deserves good people like John.
Posted Feb 13, 2005 2:09 am

bigwillyUntitled Comment

bigwilly

Great page. Lots of information and great pictures.
Posted Mar 18, 2005 3:25 pm

The Defiant OneUntitled Comment

The Defiant One

great page, it might be better with one of my photos on it though.......actually maybe not

You've handled a very important page, very well. This page (google) is how a lot of people discover SP. Keep it up.
Posted Apr 29, 2005 10:51 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Time to throw my 4stars at this terrific page.
Posted Oct 10, 2005 9:55 am

DebUntitled Comment

Deb

I love this page John. Very thorough and helpful with the pics posted in sequential manner. Thanks!

Deb
Posted Oct 28, 2005 6:01 pm

JasonHUntitled Comment

JasonH

Holy cow, this is a most excellent page. You have TONS of info and pictures.
Posted Feb 25, 2006 7:52 am

thebeave7Broken Links

thebeave7

The link for the mountaineers route is broken, led me to a deadend. Also it appears that the route itself is no longer available under the routes section. FYI.
Posted Mar 15, 2006 6:36 am

EleutherosHeight Updated For Whitney

Eleutheros

The height of the mountain was recently measured at 14,505' according to this source from the NGS/NOAA
Posted Mar 24, 2009 5:52 pm

DigglerRe: Height Updated For Whitney

Diggler

Thanks! Put it in there- out of curiosity, how did you find this???
Posted Mar 26, 2009 12:13 pm

EleutherosRe: Height Updated For Whitney

Eleutheros

Cool! I was chatting with an acquaintence who works for NGS. Whitney's height came up in our conversation and he sent me the link.

-Daniel
Posted Apr 5, 2009 8:36 pm

Peter50Mt. Whitney hike.

I hiked up Mt. Whitney with my son on August 27, 2011. It was 100 degrees at the trailhead and 40 dgrees at the top. Be sure to bring plenty of warm clothes and gloves, people were wearing winter jackets it was so cold and windy, hail came down the day before! The switchbacks are the longest I have ever been on, over 94 of them but the view at the trailcrest is incredible. The trail on the other side of the lone pine valley is dangerous so be ready. This is not a trail for children and very streneous. We started at 3 AM and returned by 6PM. We were moving the whole time. Mt. langely is an easier hike, this is one brutal hike. Soemtimes when you hike and are so tired and in pain you wonder, Why am I doing this?", but when you get down all you do is think about getting back up there again. It is a great hike, very dramatic scenery.
Posted Aug 29, 2011 4:25 am

DigglerRe: Mt. Whitney hike.

Diggler

'Type 2' fun they call it :) Yes, a great hike & otherworldly surroundings. I still remember well my first 'climb' in the Sierra, up the main Whitney Trail. Good times! A person unprepared for cold conditions at 14k', even during the summer, needs to learn the basics (Whitney main trail is probably one of the better destinations to do it). Glad to hear you had a good time!
Posted Sep 6, 2011 6:26 pm

NavySeabeeNew Elevation

NavySeabee

According to those at the Portal Store, they USGS re-surveyed the summit AGAIN and the new elevation is 14,508. I asked the Portal folks if that meant they'll discount the paraphernalia with the old elevations, but sadly they won't!
Posted Aug 8, 2012 1:47 pm

DigglerRe: New Elevation

Diggler

Wow! Before you know it, it will be a 5,000 metre peak! Any official place (website, etc.) where it might give this information?
Posted Aug 13, 2012 5:43 pm

NavySeabeeRe: New Elevation

NavySeabee

No, just word of mouth from the lady at the Portal. I did a quick search and couldn't come up with anything concrete. Sorry.
Posted Oct 25, 2012 7:13 pm