Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.93418°N / 107.72316°W
Additional Information County: Ouray
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 13359 ft / 4072 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

T 7
T 7 is the boring looking summit on the right side
T 7 is a low 13er located in the Sneffels Range of San Juan Mountains. It is an easy walk up peak especially if one accesses it from Imogene Pass. Winter ascent makes the peak a lot more challenging since the 4 WD road to Imogene Pass is closed and the approach is long and requires a travel through an avalanche terrain. 
T 7 combines really well with surrounding 13ers, either Telluride Peak (simple walk), or T 8 (a little more challenging traverse consider dropping down below the saddle on the north side). 
T 7 is great on skis early in the season, and the skiing is not very steep. 

Colorado Rank: 350

Class: 2

Parent Lineage: Line Parent: Unnamed 13,510
                        Proximate Parent: Chicago Peak

What's up with the name? There are many summits that have unofficial names that have sprung up because of local usage or traditional agreement in the climbing community. Examples of these are some of the "T", "S", or "V" designation summits in the San Juans ("T" after Telluride, "S" after Sneffels, and "V" after Vermillion). 


Nearby Peaks: "T 8" 13,315 feet                      0.66 miles
                      Telluride Peak 13,509 feet           0.95 miles 
                      Chicago Peak 13,385 feet           1.29 miles
                      Unnamed 13,510 13,510 feet      1.40 miles
                      United States Mnt 13,036 feet    1.78 miles
                      Tomboy Peak 13,095                1.79 miles
                      Hayden Mnt South 13,206 feet    1.80 miles
                      Trico Peak 13,321 feet                 2.14 miles
                      "T 5" 13,436 feet                          2.80 miles
           

Getting There

Wildflowers
Wildflowers along Imogene Pass 
Imogene Pass
Imogene Pass
around 12,000 feet high - keep smiling
Imogene Pass Run around 13,000 feet high - keep smiling
Imogene Pass Rd
Imogene Pass Rd

The easist and most logical access is from Imogene Pass Road. The road is closed during the winter and typically does not open till late June/July based on snow conditions. The road is also popular with 4 WD vehicles and runners! There is a yearly race taking place here in early September - Imogene Pass Run


The Imogene Pass Road 
is a popular rough 4 WD road which connects two historical and beautiful mountains towns: Ouray and Telluride. Imogene pass is also the highest pass road in the San Juan Mountains - elevation 13,114 feet. 
History of the road: The Imogene Pass road was built in 1880 for access to Ouray from Tomboy Mine. It was named for Imogene Richardson, the wife of one of Thomas Walsh's partners in the Camp Bird Mine. Wires carrying the first commercial transmission of alternating current electricity were strung across this pass in the 1890s. The power was generated in Ames and transmitted to Ouray. 
The Tomboy Mine, located in 1880 by Otis Thomas, was situated high above Telluride. Tomboy was Thoma's nickname. For several years there was little activity in Tomboy because it was hard to reach. But after the silver crash in 1893, prospectors struck gold at the Tomboy, and the mine was very productive. The Tomboy Mine was sold for $2 million to the Rothschilds of London in 1897 and continued to operated until 1927.
Imogene Pass Road Description: Imogene Pass is the second highest pass road in the United States and provides a wonderful scenic route though the San Juan Mountains. The route passes through two major mining camps: Camp Bird and Tomboy. I usually come from Ouray side since it is closer to me. The Imogene Pass run always runs from Ouray to Telluride. I have actually never driven the road, but hiked it and ran it many times. 
From the Yankee Boy turnoff, the road deteriorates and high clearance 4WD is needed. The track travels through the forest and Imogene Creek Valley. There are number of shallow creek crossings, the roads narrows for the final ascent to the pass. The summit is well marked and a great place to stop. There is parking for several cars. 
About two miles from the pass, the track enters the ghost town of Tomboy. The town site has several historic remains. Another couple of miles past Tomboy, the road passes through Social Tunnel, a short passage through a rocky outcrop. Near this tunnel is a good place to spot and view Ingram and Bridal Veil Falls. 

Route

T 7 has a gentle rounded summit easily approachable from Imogene Road higher up or from the top of Imogene Pass. The eastern aspects of its slopes offer basically just a gentle stroll, class 2. This mountain is great for ski approach. There is no establish trail, you just have to leave Imogene Pass road at some point. If coming from Ouray side, stay on the road as long as possible, otherwise you will ran into some steep scree terrain. Also the traverse from T 7 to T 8 is not easy! The best way is to descend way down on its northern side and try to find a grassy slopes (steep) up T 8. 

Mount Sneffels
Mount Sneffels and Gilpin on the left as seen from T 7

Potosi and Teakettle
Potosi and Teakettle as seen from T 7

Chicago Peak
Chicago Peak as seen from T 7

T 8
T 8 as seen from the slopes of T 7

Red Tape

There is no red tape. Hiking, parking are for free. 

When to Climb

Summer and early autumn are obviously the easiest. Ironton trailhead is accessible year round. The area gets heavy snowfall and the slopes are steep. Be familiar with avalanche conditions if climbing during the winter. Check for avalanche forecast here

Camping

Primitive camping is available at Imogene Rd. turn off for Richmond Pass (the road is rought, high clearance 4 WD needed). There are developed campgrounds along Camp Bird Road - Angel Creek Campground (accessible with 2 WD car) and Thistledown Campground just a little bit up the road from the previous campground. 

External Links