Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.59395°N / 111.36958°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 8796 ft / 2681 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Black Mountain's summits sits near the heart of the Big Hole Range. It's long ridge line is not easy to miss. Several nearby peaks allow for multiple summits in a day if your looking to get several done in this area. The roads for getting towards the main trailhead requires high clearance. Standard car vehicle would not be able to make it through this stretch of road. Approximately 3 miles worth. You will want to be aware of your surroundings for the trails in this range are heavily used by ATV, UTV, motocross, and mountain bikers. Just keep your eyes out and you will be fine.

Getting There

To access the main trailhead, you will need to get yourself to Fleming canyon. This will be just past Swan Valley. To get to Swan Valley from Idaho Falls, you will need to travel onto HWY 26. You will eventually get to Swan Valley after 43 miles. You will turn onto Pine Creek Rd and follow this for about 8.5 miles. Turn onto FS-270. Follow this road until the road narrows into the trail. No designated parking is in this area so you will need to find a place to park along the road.

Route

The route up to the summit is really straight forward. Follw the trail until you reach the top of the ridge where it will fork. You will keep to the right and continue to follow the trail for 3.5 miles. Once you reach the top of the ridge, the summit will be in sight. You will see its southeast ridge. As you travel down the trail, you will notice that the trail does not go up to the summit. It stays to the right of the southeast ridge then continues to go a head. You will break from the trail at this point and travel up to the summit where you will be able to enjoy the views of the surrounding range.

Roundtrip distance: Roughly 6 miles

We had to hike in from the main road which added several miles. If you have to hike in from that point you will have an 11.4 mile approach.

Red Tape

No red tape in this area

When to Climb

Spring, summer, and fall are the best times to climb. I would not recommend a snow climb. Some of the ridges would make for a difficult and possibly a dangerous approach. If you choose this then be careful and make wise choices. 

Camping

Not much camping in this surrounding area. Some spots along the road as you come in will allow for you to stop and set up a campsite. 

External Links

Pictures found on this website:

https://www.idahoaclimbingguide.com/bookupdates/black-mountain-8796-by-margo-mandella/



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Big Hole MountainsMountains & Rocks