Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.00940°N / 121.0317°W
Additional Information Elevation: 7185 ft / 2190 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hager Mountain is one of the Jems and high points for the Silver Lake Ranger District. At its 7200 foot elevation, it is heavily used in the wildfire season to keep watch over the surrounding flatlands for any sign of smoke. During the winter, it becomes a rarely attempted peak that has one of the best snowshoeing climbs available in Southern Oregon. The 4-mile strenuous hike up the Westside leads to a panoramic view of the landscape from Mt. Shasta to Mt. Hood.

Getting There

From the Silver Lake Ranger District office, travel .5 miles east on HWY 31 turning South onto County Road 4-12 (which becomes Road 28). Take 28 for 9 miles where you will find a sign and a small parking area on the east side of the road.

Red Tape

There are no permits or fees required to summit or park in this area

When To Climb

The best time to climb is in the winter when the trail is yours for the making and you will have the mountain to yourself. When wildfire season is in full force, there will be a ranger in the lookout at the top 24-7.

Camping

When wildfire season is over, the peak sports a 14X14 foot fire lookout that can be rented for $25/night. It will hold up to 4 people an is a very pleasant way to winter camp. The lookout has 2 beds, a small woodstove, and a propane cook stove.

Mountain Conditions

Current mountain conditions and reservations information can be obtained by calling Silver Lake Ranger District at (541) 576-2107. Snow levels are apt to vary greatly from one year to the next, even day to day. Skiing or snowshoeing can take as long as half a day depending on weather conditions and one's ability.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.