Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.75580°N / 71.4584°W
Additional Information Elevation: 2030 ft / 619 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Red Hill is another beautiful classic hike in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire. Like Mt. Morgan, Mt. Percival and Mt. Major, it consist of trails of moderate difficulty and length and views on top of both Lake Winnepausaukee and Squam Lake that are nothing short of breathtaking. This summit, like many others in the Lakes Region, is very popular in the summer.

There are two routes to the top. The first route The Red Hill is a 1.7 mile Class 1 trail, which contain a moderate and steady pitch to the top. It is a steeper old jeep road that goes to the summit. Though there are no real steep or rocky sections like the Main Trail on Mt. Major or the Mt. Percival, the Red Hill is very consistent in pitch and never becomes gradual until the summit.

The second trail is the Eagle Cliff Trail. This is a 2.9 mile one way Class 1-2 trail with some scrambling up ledges. Use caution on this trail when wet or icy as it can become very dangerous. The added bonus though in hiking this trail instead of the Red Hill Trail is the fact that the Eagle’s Cliff provides another fine view to the north.

Getting There

VIA THE RED HILL: From Route 25 in Center Harbor (coming from the west) make a left on Bean Road. Head up the road roughly a mile and a half and then take a right on Sibley Rd. Head a mile and make a left at another sign. The trail (old jeep road) will be on your right.

VIA EAGLE CLIFF TRAIL: From Route 25 in Center Harbor (coming from the west) make a left on Bean Road. The trail will be on your right about 5 miles. You will pass the Moultonboro-Sandwich town line about a half mile before reaching the trail.

Red Tape

No fees. Just be cautious on where you park (lots of no parking signs).

 

When To Climb

This summit can be climbed at anytime. In winter though use caution on the Eagle Cliff Trail. Due the fact the trail ascends a ledge, has northern exposure (less melt and icier conditions) and is somewhat exposed by the exposed at the ledge, crampons are required. The Red Hill Trail though is a great snowshoes hike after a fresh snowfall and crampons are not nessesary unless no snow has fallen in a weeek and tempurature are below freezing.

Camping

Camping is not permitted due to the fact that this is a half day trail and is near a residential area.

 

Mountain Conditions

Here are some websites that will provided you the best information on conditions in the White Mountains and on Mt. Morgan and Percival.


Appalachian Mountain Club

Current Trail Conditions

More Information on the Red Hill Trail

More Information on the Eagle Cliff Trail



Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Nesgis

Nesgis - Aug 15, 2011 7:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Camping

Last time I was there it actually said camping was banned all together on Red Hill.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

NH Lakes RegionMountains & Rocks