Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.56150°N / 105.446°W
Additional Information Elevation: 12481 ft / 3804 m
Sign the Climber's Log

New Mexico

Overview

Kachina Peak is a picturesque mountain located in the Wheeler Wildeness Area of the Sangre de Cristo Range. It is best known as the summit of Taos Ski Valley. This peak is most often climbed during ski season when powder seekers can hike from the top of lift # 5 via Highline Ridge. This peak is not crowded during hiking season due to it's close proximity to Wheeler Peak. The ski area makes Kachina Peak easily accessible, but above timberline this mountain becomes quite challenging. The route along the ski area boundry is class 3+ climbing to the summit.
 
Lake Fork Peak (left) and...
Kachina Peak and Lake Fork Peak

 
Kachina Peak from top of lift 2
Kachina Peak



Getting There

From Taos, New Mexico: Drive four miles north on New Mexico (NM) state road #522. At about four miles, and at the first traffic light out of town, turn right (east) on NM 150 and drive for 15 miles until reaching the Taos Ski Valley ski area. As you arrive at the ski resort a huge "Taos Ski Valley" sign will greet you. Here the road forks. Stay left. Thanks to Alan Ellis for these directions.
 
View from Taos Ski Valley
 







Red Tape

Kachina Peak is located in the Wheeler Wilderness Area, so wilderness rules apply.
The area is open for skiing usually between late November and early April. You will not be able to climb through the ski area during this time.

When To Climb

It is best to climb this mountain from late spring to early fall, depending on snowpack on the peak.

Camping and Lodging

Camping is allowed in the wilderness area, but not on the ski area. There are also several campgrounds on NM 150.

There is ample lodging in Taos Ski Valley and also in Taos.
Here are some useful linls:
outdoor recreation
Taos Chamber of Commerce
Carson National Forest
Taos Vacation Rentals

Mountain Conditions

Taos Mountain Web Cam
Taos Weather

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Alex Wood

Alex Wood - Nov 12, 2014 1:45 am - Voted 10/10

Lift to the Summit

Heads up..there is now a ski lift to the summit of Kachina Peak

Viewing: 1-1 of 1



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.