Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.11100°N / 119.457°W
Additional Information Elevation: 11346 ft / 3458 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


The summit of Crown Point, somewhat centrally located in northeastern Yosemite National Park provides a true 360 degree panorama of northern Yosemite, including the arresting views of Sawtooth Ridge along with the other peaks, canyons, and meadows of northern Yosemite National Park, the Hoover Wilderness, and the Leavitt Meadows area.

There are a variety of routes on Crown Point, but most people will climb via the Class 2 routes that start from Peeler Lake to the north or from Rock Island Pass to the southeast. The climb/hike from Rock Island Pass is the easiest and most straightforward route. Larger boulders and steeper terrain may be encountered from Peeler Lake, depending on route selection.

There are ample spots to bivy, this peak would make a great evening photo shoot and stargazing location, as it is somewhat detached from the other high peaks in the area.

An amusing aspect of Crown Point is the ability to circumnavigate it after a "conquest." A trail network loops around the peak, starting at Peeler Lake, going in a clockwise direction down to several beautiful lakes on the way to Rock Island Pass, then down into the broad, beautiful Kerrick Meadows. The loop is completed back to Peeler Lake, over a curiously and notably flat Sierra Crest crossing. This trip takes about 10 miles.

Getting There


Take the Twin Lakes Road from Bridgeport to the Robinson Creek trailhead. As this trailhead is on private land, a parking permit ($10)needs to be purchased from the host.

Wander your way through the endless civilization that is the Twin Lakes Resort Campground. The trailhead is reached eventually, just keep walking westerly. It is not well signed.

Hike through a gentle, rolling forest. After about 4 miles, one comes to Barney Lake, a lovely lake which has one of the finest sand beaches in the High Sierra. After 4 more miles, a trail junction is reached. The spur to the left goes to Rock Island Pass, the one to the east goes to Peeler Lake/Kerrick Meadow. Go either way, depending on which way one desires to summit. Beautiful camping spots can be found either way.

Red Tape


An overnight backpack requires a permit from the Toiyabe Ranger Station in Bridgeport. Quotas are pretty low, so get permits early. An overnight trip also requires purchase of a permit from the Twin Lakes Campground.

A day hike requires no permit, but may require a parking permit. Check with the campground manager.

When To Climb


The relatively long approach through snow would make this a summer/fall adventure.

The climb in the snow season would not be technically difficult, but would be an endless snow slog as it is a quite a ways into the backcountry.

Camping


The Twin Lakes Resort is not a pleasant place for the mountaineer. Better to backpack in and enjoy the wonderful scenery.

Campgrounds on the east side abound in this area. Jack Sawyer and Buckeye Hot Springs are not too far from the town of Bridgeport for a good soak.

Mountain Conditions


Current conditions may be determined by contacting the Toiyable Ranger Station.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.