Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.11200°N / 118.651°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 2163 ft / 659 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Calabasas Peak towers over Red Rock Canyon, Old Topanga Canyon and bowl-shaped Cold Creek Canyon. An easy hike in Spring and Fall with a 1000' elevation gain; from the top, one can see north into Ventura County, southwest to the Pacific Ocean and northeast to the San Fernando and Simi valleys. The Calabasas Peak Trail passes a variety of interesting geological formations, such as large weathered sandstone outcroppings and colorful rock slabs.

Calabasas Peak flank

Getting There

From Santa Monica, drive 12 miles north on the Pacific Coast Highway (Highway 1) to Malibu Canyon Road. Turn right and drive 6.5 miles to Mulholland Highway. Turn right and continue 4 miles to the fabled Stunt Road. Turn right again and drive one mile; a dirt pullout is on the right. The trailhead is across the street at the entrance to a gated fire road.

From Ventura freeway (Highway 101) in Calabasas, exit on Las Virgenes Road. Head three miles south to Mulholland Highway and make a left turn. Continue 4 miles to Stunt Road. Turn right and drive 1 mile to the dirt pullout on the right.

The fire road

Red Tape

No permits required, however access to this part of the Santa Monica Mountains recreation area is only permitted sunrise to sunset.

Sand & Time


Camping

No Camping Allowed.

Weather

In summer the Santa Monica Mountains often penetrate the upper levels of an inversion layer, which means temperatures can be very hot. Spring, Fall and Winter are ideal, with visibility generally better from December through March, especially after periods of rain.

Forecast for Calabasas, California.

External Link

Another page on this peak from localhikes.com

The Hills Have Eyes


Canyon Overlook


Warner Center






Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Santa Monica MountainsMountains & Rocks