Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.23840°N / 13.81252°E
Additional Information County: Slovenia
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6306 ft / 1922 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Vogel seen from the Vogel...Vogel from Vogel ski resort

 Triglav from VogelTriglav from summit of Vogel

The Famous ski center above Bohinjsko jezero (Bohinj lake) and two mountain pastures (First and Last Vogel) between which the summit rises, got their name by a high beautiful pyramid above in the South Bohinj Ridge. That's why Vogel is the most known mountain of the South Bohinj Ridge although it is only 11th highest mountain in the range. However a question is, how many skiers, who are skiing from below Sija and Orlov rob (Eagel's Edge) through Zagar's graben, keep in mind from where the name of these wonderful ski fields derives. Certainly the most beautiful view on Vogel summit is from Ski hotel on Rjave skale (Brown Rocks). Easy access and not too demanding slopes, that is why it is also a popular destination for ski tours in winter.

Because of ski lifts on Bohinj side, which reach at Orlov rob the altitude of 1800 meters Vogel is reachable also for less experienced, that is why it isn't short of visits in summer. A different situation is from Primorska side where 5 to 6 hours of walk are necessary to reach the summit.

The view from the summit is incredible: on the Triglav and on his group in front of us, far on the Adriatic see and of course on practically the entire South Bohinj Ridge, Krn group toward the north-west,Kanin group toward the north, Karavanke toward the east and Kamnik/Steiner Alps toward the east-south.

Getting There

Tolminske Ravne - a small...Tolminske Ravne
Bohinj lakeBohinj lake

Vogel can be reached from the south and from the north. From the south you follow the dreamy beautiful valley of Soca river. You will nowhere in Europe find a river of a such light blue colour. Town Tolmin and Soca valley can be reached from the south (from Italy via Gorizia, from Slovenia via Idrija or Ajdovscina) or from the north (over Vrsic Pass from Sava valley or over Predel pass from Tarvisio). It's also possible to arrive there from the west, from Udine over the Ucja/Uccea pass or from Udine via Cividale and then over Stupizza pass - these routes are reaching Tolmin. You turn in town per a local road, which guides you 10 km to a small village Tolminske Ravne.

From the north the Bohinj valley can be reached by a good road from the well known tourist resort of Bled.We drive from Ribcev Laz round road along wonderful Bohinj lake to the lower station of cableway on Vogel. To here is also good bus connection.

Routes lists

Bohinj lake with surroundings 1 : 25000Bohinjsko jezero z okolico ( Bohinj lake with surroundings ) 1 : 25000

Zabiski Kuk (1844m) from VogelZabiski Kuk from Vogel

- From Ski hotel on Vogel ( 1535m ) : Go by marks towards Visoki Orlov rob (1800m). Here on crossing of way you turn to the right and go by marks with 1 (Slovenian mountaineering transverzal) that you arrive round ridge on summit of Vogel. Easy path. Nice ski tour!

Time Required : Ski hotel - Visoki Orlov rob - Vogel - Ski hotel = 3h 30min

- From Ukanc (569m) : Go by marks trough Zagarjev graben. On crossing of paths you go straight to mountain pasture Kal (1346m) and from here forward reach saddle Globoko (1828m) and after ridge on summit of Vogel. Easy path. Nice ski tour!

Time Required : Ukanc - mountain pasture Kal - saddle Globoko - Vogel - Ukanc = 8h

- From Tolminske Ravne : click here
- Vratca from Kneza valley : click here
- Traversing South Bohinj Ridge : ( summit of Vogel engaged ) click here

Maps:

- Bohinjsko jezero z okolico ( Bohinj lake with surroundings ), Planinska Zveza Slovenije. 1:25000
- Julijske Alpe, zahodni del (western part), Planinska Zveza Slovenije. 1:50000
- Posocje, Planinska Zveza Slovenije. 1:50000
- interaktive map
In the middle of the South...View from summit

From the summit of Vogel...View towards east

Red tape

View from summit..View from summit toward west

Panorama to ..View to planina Razor

Vogel is in Triglav national park. There are no restraints practically. We beg you,that you keep nature intact, don't pick up flowers. Garbages also don't fit on mountains ;-)

When To Climb



Vogel can be reached in all seasons. In winter you need to be careful, because of the possibility of avalanches or iced slopes. Unannounced thunderstorms or fog require a necessary precaution also in summer.
On the ski tour to VogelOn the ski tour to Vogel.
Flowers below the peak of...Flowers below the summit.

Weather:

- Mountain Weather Forecast ( very good - english )
- Žurnal24 - Vreme ( Slovenian )
- ARSO ( Slovenian )
- Il Meteo - Tolmin ( Italian )

- WEB CAMERA from Vogel Ski Center

Huts & Campings

View upon western part of 5km...View from Ski hotel
Koca ( mountain hut ) Na...Hut on planina Razor

- planinska koca ( mountain hut ) Merjasec na Voglu (1535m)
- planinska koca ( mountain hut ) na planini Razor (1315m)- for info CLICK HERE Over garage is a winter bivouac.

In Bohinj, by the lake, there is a good camping place and in Ribcev Laz you can also find some hotels and private rooms.
In Tolmin area you have two camps (camp Vili and camp Lazar) and you can also find hotels (hotel Krn) or private rooms.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Bohinj GroupMountains & Rocks
 
South Bohinj RangeMountains & Rocks