Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.05250°N / 82.0358°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 3706 ft / 1130 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Big A Mountain is the highest point in Buchanan County Virginia. It looks high above the Clinch River as it flows southwest toward Tennessee. (The Clinch River parallels the Clinch Mountain for over 50 miles until flowing into Norris Lake north of Knoxville, Tennessee.) Big A sits on the divide of SW Virginia; to the east are the long SW sloping mountains and valleys cut by the Clinch and Holsten rivers, to the west the undulating hills of the coalfields with Kentucky beyond. There is an outstanding view to the east; the valley and long ridge of the Clinch , Beartown Mountain, and Mt Rogers. The only use is from highpointers and persons associated with the phone/law enforcement towers which sit on its peak.

Getting There

Va 80 connects US 19 and Haysi, on the edge to the Breaks Interstate Park. If traveling west on VA 80, after crossing the county line take the first paved left. Follow this road (paved then gravel) 2.5 miles to the summit.

Red Tape

Easily accessed but privately owned.

Camping

There is no camping but the Breaks Interstate State Park is close by.

Added information

The Breaks are considered by some to be the deepest gorge east of the Mississippi River. It is a deep chasm cut by the Russell Fork River, one of the finest whitewater runs in the southeast US.

Trip reports to this summit can be found at the county highpointers website

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.