Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.08600°N / 118.7848°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2824 ft / 861 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Malibu Shuttle Map

This peak offers beautiful, panoramic views of the Malibu Mountains. It can be accessed via the Backbone trail from either Malibu Canyon Road or Kanan Dume Road. From The Malibu Canyon Trailhead it is approximately 8 miles to the summit, from Kanan Dume Road it is approx 4 miles.

The hike to this peak can be combined with the entire Backbone trail. There is a shuttle by the national park system that can shuttle you from one end ot the backbone trail to the other for only $1. A very convenient way to do a hike that usually requires a car drop. The total backbone trail is approximately 13 miles and approx. 2500 ft gain/loss.

"The Backbone Trail is a network of trails that crosses the Santa Monica Mountains along the ridge. You can experience hiking, horseback riding, and mountain biking on most of this trail.

Using the ParkLINK Shuttle, you can embark on a 13 mile strenuous one way hike that crosses from Newton Canyon, to Castro Crest, through Malibu Creek State Park, and Piuma Parking Lot or the reverse."

History

Castro Peak Fire Lookot

The fire lookout tower that stood atop of Castro Peak from 1925 - 1971 (shown here) is now located at Henninger Flats along the Mount Wilson Fireroad. It previously was located at an elevation of 2824' with a view over the surrounding area of the Malibu Mountains.

Getting There

From 101 Freeway:
Backbone Trailhead:
Take the 101 North from LA to Las Virgenes Road Exit near Malibu. Drive south along Las Virgenes, past Hulholland Highway at which point Las Virgenes turns into Malibu Canyon Road. Drive approx. 2 miles to the Backbone tailhead parking on the right just past Tapia Park, near the Water Reclamation Facility.

Kanan Dume Trailhead:,
As for the Backbone trail, take the 101 North from LA to Kanan Road Exit near Malibu. Drive south along Kanan Road, past Hulholland Highway and onto Kanan Dume Road. Drive approx. 5 miles and park at the shuttle stop (past 3rd tunnel from east, 1 tunnel from west).

From Pacific Coast Freeway:
You can also take the PCH just north of Mailbu and take the Malibu Canyon Road towards Pepperdine University. Drive North to the Backbone trail head or take Kanan Dume Road direct off PCH to access the Kanan Dume trailhead.

Red Tape

None:

Camping

The most convenient place to camp is at Malibu Creek State Park Campground. It is located near Hulholland Highway and Malibu Canyon Road, just 25 miles from downtown LA. Here is a MAP.

There are 15 miles of streamside trail through oak and sycamore woodlands an chaparral-covered slopes.

Twenty-five-mile Malibu Creek in the park is the principal water-course of the Santa Monica Mountains - from Boney Mountain to Malibu Lagoon.

The park was the center of Chumash Native American life for centuries and was once used to film numerous movies and TV shows, such as Planet of the Apes and M*A*S*H.

Reservations are usually required and can be made at www.reserveamerica.com

Other Information

USGS Topo Maps:
o341186.tif Malibu Beach 7.5
o341187.tif Point Dume 7.5

External Links

  • Malibu Creek State Park Campground


  • Zoomable Map centered on Malibu Creek Campground


  • www.reserveamerica.com

  • Weather for Malibu Creek State Park

  • Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

    Viewing: 1-1 of 1

    CastroPeak - Aug 6, 2012 12:13 am - Hasn't voted

    Castro Peak - CLOSED

    Castro Peak is private property and EXTREMELY closed to the public. Meaning: well posted, multiple gates, barbed wire, razor ribbon, security cameras and guard dogs. For your own safety please do not attempt to trespass past security gates. Public access ends 1/2 mile before the summit. Thank you for your consideration.

    Viewing: 1-1 of 1