Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.66000°N / 120.01°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10153 ft / 3095 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Sisters are located in the Mokelumne Wilderness within the Carson Pass Management Area. Located within a few miles of Highway 88, the peak can be summited any time of the year. Close proximity to Lake Tahoe, beautiful scenery, and year around access make The Sisters a popular destination.

The Sisters are made up of two summits, separated by less than a quarter mile. The higher east summit can be reached via easy class 1 terrain from the same saddle used to climb the west ridge of Round Top. The western summit is roughly 100 feet lower than its eastern counterpart. It can be reached from the east summit via a class 1/2 traverse. Both summits can easily be climbed as a day hike, or combined with other nearby peaks, including its famous neighbor, Round Top. Compared to Round Top, The Sisters offer a better view of Lake Tahoe, a class 1 ascent, and fewer crowds.

West SummitWest Summit

Getting There

TrailheadRouteDifficultyElevation GainRT Distance
Carson PassEast RidgeClass 11558 ft6 miles
Woods LakeEast Ridge Class 11921 ft4 miles


Carson Pass (38.6951° N, 119.9895° W): Located on the south side of Highway 88, approximately 70 miles east of Jackson or 9 miles west of the the Highway 88/89 junction.

Woods Lake (38.6855° N, 120.0095° W): Located on the south side of Highway 88. The turn off is located approximately 1.5 miles west of Carson Pass. From the turn off it is less than a mile to the hiker's parking lot. This trailhead is not accessible in the winter.

From Round TopThe Sisters

Red Tape

The Sisters lie in the Carson Pass Management Area which is subject to heavy regulation. During the summer there is a $3 fee to park at the Carson Pass or Woods Lake trailheads. A seasonal pass is available for $15. During the winter, a Sno-Park Pass is required to park at Carson Pass. The cost is $5 for a day pass or $25 for a season pass.

Back country camping is permitted in designated sites with a permit. During the summer a permit can be obtained from the information station located at Carson Pass on a first come, first serve basis. Other times of the year permits are issued from the Amador Ranger Station.

When to Climb

Highway 88 is open year around allowing all season access to peak. The peak is generally snow free from July through September. The area is popular with hikers, backpackers, snowshoers, and skiers: do not expect solitude in any season.

From the saddleEast Summit

Camping

Backcountry camping is permitted in designated sites at Winnemucca, Round Top, and Fourth of July Lakes.

Developed campgrounds can be found at Kirkwood Lake, Caples Lake, Woods Lake, Hope Valley, and Blue Lakes. Fees and facilites vary.

Mountain Conditions

The Carson Pass area is subject to a variety of weather conditions, including heavy snowfall in the winter. Weather forcast can be found HERE.

The avalanche advisory can be found HERE.

External Links

Bob Burd - Carson Spur to Carson Pass - April 4, 2004

Bob Burd - Round Top, The Sisters, Elephants Back - March 21, 2001

Round Top, The Sisters - February 17, 2007

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

mjfuller53 - Jul 29, 2012 4:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Corrected distance

Webmaster: please see my proposed change or input under "Comments." Sorry for not putting it here in the first place.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.