Sunset Ridge & Colver Peak

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.18760°N / 117.7°W
Additional Information County: Los Angeles
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 5399 ft / 1646 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sunset Ridge


Sunset Ridge is the high tower covered peak that stands directly over the city of Claremont. For locals Sunset Ridge is a classic hike or mountain bike ride that rewards one with grand views of the Inland Empire and San Gabriel Mountains. Just north of the summit is another overlooked peak known as Colver Peak 5511 feet. Colver Peak in honor of Charles Colver a long-time manager of the San Dimas Experimental Forest who has passed on. The true highpoint of the ridge is the better known Sunset Peak 5796 feet. All three together makes a really nice long hike. I will be adding more pictures. Other nearby peaks are Potato Mountain, Windy Point, Frankish Peak, Stoddard Peak, and BM La Verne.

Getting There

Cow Canyon Saddle, San Gabriel Mtns.


Take the 210 Freeway to Basline offramp in Claremont. You want to head west on Baseline to the first light interesction, Padua Ave. Turn right onto Padua and go north, towards the mountains, for about 2 miles to the lighted Mount Baldy Road intersection. Go right onto Baldy Road and continue for about 2 miles reaching Shinn Road on the right. Continue north and to the left up Baldy Road passing through the tunnels for about 8 miles. As you enter Baldy Village there is a turnoff for Glendora Ridge Road on the left. Make the left and continue up Glendora Ridge Road for about a mile reaching Cow Canyon Saddle. You use to be able to park at the large parking lot at the saddle, but the nearby RV park has posted No Parking signs. I do not know if they actually have the right to do this but you can park along the road just before you reach the saddle.



Route



From Cow Canyon Saddle hike up the firebreak leading up the north ridge of Sunset Peak. Take it all the way to the summit in 1.5 miles and 1300 feet of gain. From the summit descend the south firebreak to the main fireroad. Take the fireroad south as it roller coasters to a low saddle after many switchbacks. Continue uphill till you reach a firebreak on the right that leads up to Colver Peak. From Sunset Peak to Colver Peak is around 3 miles one way. From Colver Peak continue south down the firebreak to the road. The road branches, take the right to the towers. Hike up to the tallest tower complex in about .5 miles from the summit of Colver Peak.


The roundtrip is about 10 miles with 2000-2300 feet of gain.

Red Tape

You will need a Adventure Pass to park at the turnout. Adventure Passes are available at many gas stations in Claremont and Upland. They are also available at the Baldy Ranger Station and further up the road at a private house near Icehouse Canyon. The Icehouse Canyon house will have a sign out front where they are selling passes.

External Links

For current condtions contact Angeles National Forest or San Bernardino National Forest.

For information about Mount Baldy Vistor center

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.