Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.70644°N / 10.40088°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10512 ft / 3204 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Muntpitschen and Piz SesvennaMuntpitschen and Piz Sesvenna (by Matthias Zehring)


Piz Sesvenna is the highest mountain of the likewise called mountain group in the Rhaetian Alps. It is located on the border between Switzerland (Unterengadin) and Italy (Südtirol / Alto Adige). As the highest summit far around it commands great views across the neighbouring mountain groups, mainly the Ötztal Alps and the Ortler / Cevedale Group but also the Silvretta and Samnaun Groups. On its top you can find a wonderful big summit cross.

Sesvenna is a popular mountain in summer as well as in winter when the two normal ascent routes from Schlinig / Slingia on the Italian side and S-Charl on the Swiss side can be done as moderately difficult ski tours. To the north of the summit you find Vadret da Sesvenna, the last glacier in the area, which has suffered heavily from global warming. Like many other glaciers in the Rhaetian Alps it has shrunk a lot during the incredibly hot summer of 2003.

The word Vadret is Rhaeto-Romanic and translates glacier (compare the Italian word Vedretta).

Summit Panorama

GriankopfFernerpitzeRasaßspitzeWeißseespitzeWeißkugelMuntpitschenForatridaHasenöhrlLaaser SpitzeVertainspitzeOrtlerPiz TerraPiz StarlexPiz ChristannesPiz RimsS-ChalambergSchadlerSesvennascharte
360° summit panorama from Piz Sesvenna. Pictures linked from http://www.seilschaft.it/. Posted with permission.

Route Difficulties

Piz Sesvenna 3204mClimbing the Sesvenna Summit

Ski-Difficulty: ZS-
Mountaineering-Difficulty: L-WS (F-PD)
Hiking-Difficulty: T5

Getting There

Piz Sesvenna 3204mPiz Sesvenna

There are two reasonable trailheads for Piz Sesvenna, one on the Italian side near Sesvenna Hut, which you reach from Mals im Vinschgau / Malles in Val Venosta via a Road through Burgeis / Burgusio to Schlinig / Slingia. The Swiss trailhead is at the village of S-Charl to the west of the mountain. It can be reached from Scuol via a narrow mountain road.

The nearest international airports are Innsbruck in Austria, Milano and Verona in Italy and Zürich in Switzerland, though only Innsbruck is real close by. Consequently the itineraries from the other airports are far more lengthy and complicated.
  • From Innsbruck
    Simply take motorway A12/E60 west towards Landeck. There take B184 towards Reschenpass. At Nauders you can turn onto B27 into Unterengadin / Switzerland for the S-Charl trailhead. At Scuol turn south to S-Charl.
    Alternatively take B180 / SS40 which will take you to the Schlinig / Slingia trailhead. At Mals / Malles turn off onto SP2 for Burgeis / Burgusio and Schlinig / Slingia.
  • From Zürich
    Take motorway A3 east to Vaduz. At exit Bad Ragaz take B28 to Davos and across Füelapass to Susch. Here turn on B27 north until you reach Scuol.
  • From Milano
    Take the ring motorway north and leave for SS36 north. It will take you by Monza and Lago di Como until you reach Chiavenna. There turn Onto SS37 east in direction of St. Moritz. The road turns into B27 on the Swiss side of the border and takes you on to Susch and further onwards to Scuol.
  • From Verona
    Take Motorway A22 (Brenner Motorway northward until you reach Bozen / Bolzano. There turn onto SS38, Vinschgauer Staatsstrasse, which takes you to Schluderns / Sluderno. Take SS40 to Mals / Malles and on to Schlinig / Slingia on SP2

Red Tape

The Swiss part of the group is a National Park. The usual rules apply - leave plants and animals, take your refuse, keep dogs on leash etc. Also, you are in the border region between three European countries and though Italy and Austria belong to the EU, Switzerland doesn’t. Keep your Pass or ID handy.

Weather Conditions

Accommodation

Sesvenna hutSesvenna Hut

Austria

Italy

Switzerland



- The closest mountain hut is Sesvenna Hut on the Italian side of the border.

Maps & Books

Maps


  • Digital Maps
    • www.swissgeo.ch
    • Vinschgau / Val Venosta
      Kompass GPS Map GPS 4052
      ISBN: 3-85491-659-0

  • Regular Maps
    • Vinschgau / Val Venosta
      Kompass Map WK 52
      1:50.000
      ISBN: 3-85491-058-4
    • Unterengadin-Nationalpark
      Kompass Map WK 98
      1:50.000
      ISBN: 3-85491-331-1
    • Obervinschgau / Alta Val Venosta
      Kompass Map WK 041
      1:25.000
      ISBN: 3-85491-580-2
    • Schweizer Landeskarten, available at German Alpine Club
      • SLK 259 S Ofenpass, 1:50000, Art.Nr.: 147259
      • SLK 1219 S-charl, 1:25000, Art.Nr.: 141219

Books


  • Alpine Skitouren, Bd.2, Graubünden
    Vital Eggenberger, Georg Calonder
    Rother Verlag
    ISBN: 3-8590-2171-0
  • Bündner Alpen, Bd.9, Engiadina Bassa, Val Müstair
    Jachen Egler, Martin Pernet
    Rother Verlag
    ISBN: 3-8590-2058-7
  • Unterengadin
    Rudolf Weiss / Siegrun Weiss
    Rother Verlag
    ISBN: 3-7633-4043-2
  • Vinschgau
    Henriette Klier
    Rother Verlag
    ISBN: 3-7633-4205-2

In Memory of Cyrill Rüegger

A note from the SP staff
Cyrill Rüegger, the member we all used to know as Cyrill and Digitalis, died on June 13th 2009 in an avalanche on the summit ridge of Piz Palü together with his wife Tanja and a common friend. They were swept down by the avalanche into a couloir underneath the east summit and died instantly. Their bodies were retrieved from the Palü Glacier by helicopter a day after the accident.

Cyrill joined SP in March 2006 and soon was one of the most prolific contributors on the site with almost 70 mountain and 5 range pages to his profile. He was an accomplished climber, bagging almost 1000 summits in not quite seven years. Among them are 35 4000ers and 272 3000ers, almost all of them in his home country Switzerland.

While contributing a lot on SP, Cyrill's real internet home was www.hikr.org where he contributed 585 mountain profiles and reports in his native language German. Cyrill also posted on www.bergsteigen.at and other climbing sites, often under his real name but also under the pseudonym Digitalis. He was a botanist by profession and also contributed his knowledge about medical plants to different websites. Cyrill will be greatly missed by all.

This page will be kept in honour of Cyrill, one of SP's most prolific members and most active mountaineers.

Rest in peace, brother!

The picture above was taken on the summit of Matterhorn on July 28th 2007.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sesvenna GroupMountains & Rocks