Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.46192°N / 7.60016°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10003 ft / 3049 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Gross Lohner is a limestone massive in the Berner Oberland, located in the East of the famous city of Adelboden and in the southwest of the city Kandersteg, a well knowed ice climbing Eldorado.
The Lohner Massive shows several summits from the west to the East, named:

Mittaghorn, 2678 m
Vorder Lohner (Southwest-Summit), 3049 m
Middle Lohner, 3002 m
Rear Lohner, 2929 m
Nünihorn, 2717 m
and the Chli Lohner, 2584 m.

Gross Lohner



Possibly on half a height in the rock wall is the Lohnerhütte which is accessible to skilled mountain travellers without real climbing.

The mountain provided with many stone waste dumps is mountable almost only about his three burrs.
From the Lohnerhut the middle Lohner can be also reached in a demanding climb by the rock wall.
For free from giddiness the very nice tour of the Lohnerhut via Mittaghorn and west burr is recommended to the main summit.

Getting There

To Adelboden in the Berner Oberland, approx.15 km south of lake Thun.
It can be reached easily by public and as well by private transportation from all directions.
An international rail link (Lötschberg line) extends to Frutigen.
A bus service operates between Frutigen station and Adelboden.
International flight connections to Basel, Bern, Geneva and Zurich.
The use of cars is unnecessary in Adelboden itself thanks to public transportation.



To Kandersteg:
From the north coming you use the highways over Basel (A2) or Zurich (A1) or Geneva (A1) to Bern.
From Bern you follow the highway A6 to Thun and Spiez.
After other 24 km of well developed high street you reach Kandersteg.
Time from Basel and Zurich 2 hours, from Bern 1 hour.

With the journey of the south you use the Simplonpass or the conveyance of cars Simplon and afterwards the conveyance of cars in Lötschberg.

Camping

Generally Camping is not allowed in the mountains of Switzerland.
You get pricy and good hotels in the Cities of Adelboden and Kandersteg, also the Mountain Hotel Schwarenbach offeres pricy rooms.http://www.schwarenbach.ch/

The Lohner Hut, a mountain Hut of the SAC ( Suisse Alpine Club )
http://www.vs-wallis.ch/bern/huetverz/lohner.html

Infos about the routes

The Gross Lohner offers 3 routes, that are mostly climbed over one of the three ridges.
Generally the massive is an awkward area without road guidance.
Rise of more than 500 metres height in the rocky area and a lot of rubble.
Long climbing places (II) in the descent very delicately.
The Route from the Aertelengrat has no marks, so orientation can become the problem.

Maps

Switzerland Map 1:25000 Adelboden Nr 1247