Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.45000°N / 120.36381°W
Additional Information County: Sierra
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8844 ft / 2696 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Fortunately for point 8,844, some folks years ago decided to draw the Nevada and Sierra County lines just to the south. Indeed, because of this simple arbitrary boundary, point 8,844 became the highpoint of Sierra County, and has been unofficially dubbed Mt. Lola North by county high pointers. If not for this fact, Point 8,844 would be relegated to obscurity and visited only by loggers, deer, and the hunters after them.

Summit view from Mt. Lola North. South is Mt. Lola. Southwest is Old Man Mtn and Signal Peak. Northwest is Sierra Buttes.


Mt. Lola North is really nothing more than a subsidiary bump along a ridge that also includes the much more impressive Mt. Lola. While offering little in terms of aesthetics, the views are grand. The view encompasses the Sierra Buttes to the northwest, the Sierra Valley due north, Signal Peak and Old Man Mountain to the Southwest and of course, Mt. Lola directly to the south.

The summit itself is a collection of small, lichen covered volcanic boulders and grasses. The highpoint is obvious, and a small summit register is hidden in the rocks.

Mt. Lola North is usually climbed in conjunction with its more famous neighbor to the south, Mt. Lola. "Climbed" may be somewhat of a misnomer. The route along the connecting ridge is really nothing more than easy class 2 hiking, passing through some stands of pine trees and wildflowers.

Getting There

Cold Spring MeadowCold Stream Meadow
From Mt. Lola TrailMt. Lola North from the Mt. Lola Trail

Both of the Lola peaks are usually climbed via the Mt. Lola Trail beginning to the north near Perazzo Meadows and following Cold Stream, to Mt. Lola. As noted above, the ridge from Mt. Lola is an easy 1.2 mile saunter.

Alternatively, logging roads lead from the western portion of Cold Stream Meadows to within ½ mile of the summit. At the end of the logging roads at approximately 8,500 feet, head due west to gain the ridge. Mt. Lola North is the obvious highpoint bump on the ridge.

Mt. Lola Trail
Accessing the Mt. Lola trail requires driving some well graded and maintained dirt roads. From State Route 89, 14.5 miles north of Interstate 80, turn onto Forest Service Road NF07. This road is well maintained and paved, accessing Webber Lake, Independence Lake and Jackson Meadows Reservoir. After approximately 1.6 miles, turn left (south) toward Perazzo Meadows and the Little Truckee River. Continue on this road for 0.7 mile, crossing the Little Truckee River, to a four way intersection. Topo maps indicate this road is called Henness Road, but is unsigned at the location. Turn right (west) at the intersection and continue for about 3.6 miles, passing some private property and houses on the way. The trailhead is signed, but well shot up, on the south side of the road. There is parking for at least a dozen cars.

The Mt. Lola trail to Mt. Lola proper is about 5 miles one way with 2,600 feet of elevation gain. Mt. Lola North is another 1.2 miles north.

Alternative routes to the peak may include simple cross country from Perazzo Meadows, or a more established route to Mt. Lola proper from White Rock Lake.

Red Tape

Private property along Henness Road should be respected. It is well signed. Campfire permits are required to use a stove, lantern, charcoal barbeque, or wood campfire outside of a developed campground or recreation area on public lands. The permit is your agreement to follow the campfire restrictions and regulations in effect. More information can be found at the Tahoe National Forest Campfire Permit Page.

Sierraville Ranger District

(Jackson Meadows, Yuba Pass, Little Truckee Summit, Highway 89 north areas)
317 So. Lincoln St./PO Box 95
Sierraville CA 96126
530.994.3401 (voice)
530.994.3521 (TDD)

Camping

There are numerous camping opportunities in the Tahoe National Forest. Again, the Forest Service Camping website has tons of options and information. Dispersed camping is also allowed in the area.

External Links

Add External Links text here.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.