Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.48827°N / 121.94715°W
Additional Information County: King
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 3004 ft / 916 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A Picnic at East Tiger...


SPECIAL NOTE: This page is dedicated to East Tiger Mountain only. This page is not dedicated to West Tiger, Middle Tiger, South Tiger, or Poo Poo Point.

East Tiger Mountain lacks the popularity of West Tiger Mountain, despite having the distinction of being the tallest peak in the Tiger Mountain State Forest, located in the Issaquah Alps. This is not to suggest East Tiger's summit is not a popular peak, just a less traveled one than it's northwestern counterparts.










The southern route to East Tiger Mountain, by itself, is basically just a traverse along gravel roads. These roads are mostly used by mountain bikers, but also hikers and trail runners. Several radio towers utilize it's highpoint location, but they do not detract from the best aspect of the summit: the view. The top of East Tiger offers wonderful views of Mount Rainier and the valleys south of the mountain. To help enjoy the view and peakbagging accomplishment further, there is a picnic table at the summit.

Getting There

From Seattle or I-405, head east on I-90. At Exit 25, head south on Highway 18. At approximately 4.5 miles, the lower Tiger Summit Trailhead parking lot is found on the righthand side of the highway.
You can start from either the lower Trail Summit Trailhead parking lot or the upper Tiger Summit Trailhead parking lot. Both starting points are equal in distance for the East Tiger Mountain route.
***NOTE: As of Spring 2008, the 0.3-mile Connector Trail from the upper parking lot is currently closed for repairs and maintenance. Please only use the lower parking lot access (Main Tiger Mountain Road) for East Tiger Mountain until the Connector Trail reopens.***

The standard southern route for the East Tiger summit is approximately 8 miles roundtrip, including an elevation gain of approximately 1650 feet from the lower Tiger Summit Trailhead parking lot to the summit (3004').

Here is the basic description for the standard southern route to the East Tiger Mountain summit:

1) From either Tiger Summit Trailhead parking lot (upper or lower), travel approxiamtely 2.9 miles up the Main Tiger Mountain Road to the intersection with Crossover Road.

2) Take a right onto Crossover Road and follow for 0.4 miles to the next gravel road intersecting on the leftside.

3) Take a left onto the gravel road and head uphill (NOTE: there is a red gate and post labeled "5550" slightly up the hill you will be traveling on) for 0.7 miles to the East Tiger Mountain summit.
Main Tiger Mountain Road

Red Tape

Beginning during 2011, parking areas and trailheads within and for the Issaquah Alps region require a Discover Pass to be in each vehicle during the visit. Failure to have a Discover Pass visible within a parked vehicle at these locations can result in a substantial fine. For more information regarding the Discover Pass, please visit the official website.

Gate to upper Tiger Summit Trailhead parking lot is open dawn until dusk.
Possible car prowling area; Keep your valuables out of sight.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Issaquah AlpsMountains & Rocks
 
Tiger MountainMountains & Rocks