Ramshorn Peak (MT)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.15530°N / 111.09244°W
Additional Information County: Gallatin
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10289 ft / 3136 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Ramshorn Peak is located in the Gallatin Range of Southwestern Montana. While not particularly high in elevation, it's location makes it fairly prominent. Ramshorn is the tallest peak along the crest of the Gallatin Range between Electric Peak and Hyalite Peak. For those unfamiliar with the topography of the area, that is quite a distance. So while Ramshorn is overshadowed by the Absaroka's to the east and the Madison Range to the west, it stands out in its own right above beautiful Tom Miner Basin. Ramshorn is also easily visible from Lone Peak and thus seen by thousands of skiers at Big Sky each year.

While Ramshorn is an easy trail hike, the view from the summit makes it a very attractive destination. The view encompasses many notable features such as the Spanish Peaks, Lone Mountain, The Sphinx, The Taylor-Hilgard area, Electric Peak and Mount Cowen. On clear days, one can even see the spires of Pilot and Index Peaks in far northwestern Wyoming. Another unique feature of Ramshorn is its location within the Gallatin Petrified Forest.

Finally, I want to recommend the book "Select Peaks of Greater Yellowstone" by Tom Turiano to anyone interested in peakbagging in the area. Not only does it provide route details, it tells of the geological and human history of these mountains. I attached a link to the website at the bottom of the page.

 

Getting There

The shortest route up Ramshorn Peak consists of hiking to Buffalo Horn Pass via Trail Creek. The trailhead is located at Tom Miner Campground. To reach the campground, turn west off of Highway 89 onto Tom Miner Creek Road. This signed junction is approx. 37 miles south of Livingston, MT and 16 miles north of Gardiner, MT. This gravel road quickly crosses the Yellowstone River and comes to a T intersection. Make a left and follow the signs approx. 10 miles to the campground. The trailhead is at the back of the campground and signed "Petrified Forest Interpretive Trail".

 

Red Tape

None. Ramshorn Peak is located in the Hyalite-Porcupine-Buffalo Horn Wilderness Study Area. Since it is not a "real" wilderness area, motorized vehicles are allowed on some trails. Other than that, standard USFS rules apply. This is bear country, so proper food storage is required.

 

Camping

Camping is available at the trailhead in the Forest Service's Tom Miner Campground. I believe the cost is $6 per night.

 

External Links

Gallatin National Forest Homepage
Tom Turiano's Website

 

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
wilkifam

wilkifam - Jul 15, 2014 4:19 pm - Voted 8/10

Beautiful Hike, but not easy

I hike in this area alot, and the hike is popular, but is NOT an easy hike. 2500 feet of elevation gain in about 4.5 miles.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Gallatin RangeMountains & Rocks