Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.99084°N / 123.52478°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5757 ft / 1755 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Bailey Range North
Hurricane Hill is best known as "the easy paved hike from the Hurricane Ridge visitor center" in Olympic National Park. And, if you tackle the summit via the paved trail that begins near the Hurricane Ridge Visitor Center, it is an easy hike, no more than a quick stroll of a mile or so up a very nicely paved trail to the top. The summit offers great views of the range from the north, better so than the popular Hurricane Ridge visitor center.

What is is not so well known for is the incredible 6.1 mile [one-way] hike from the Elwha river valley that gains over a mile in elevation. This quadbusting hike helps one to appreciate Hurricane Hill's views much more than the paved route...

This hike is also much more technical and fantastically beautiful in winter, when it is a snowshoe/ski and offers great views into the Olympic interior.

Looking south towards the heart of the Olympics from the trail, near the summit.

Getting There

The Hurricane Ridge Parking area is at the end of Hurricane Ridge road, roughly 17 miles from Port Angeles, WA. The trail from there is paved and easy.

The Elwha River Valley trailhead is off of Whiskey bend Road, 1/4 mile from Elwha River Road. This trail is 6.1 miles of pure switchbacks to the very top of Hurricane Hill. Bring lots of water and come ready for a helluva hike. The views once you break the treeline make it all worth it though :D

Ruth Mountain clearing though the Clouds

Red Tape

Entrance Fees to Olympic National Park:

One Week - $15
One Year - $30
One Year to All National Parks and Recreation Areas - $80


olympic range

External Links

Olympic National Park

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.